Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Oh yeah, and he's enormous -.- and a grumpy ol' fart >< If fish were people, this would be the one coming after you beating you with his cane mumbling nonsense about the war -.-
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #12 
Sivan

Hahaha. Love it!
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #13 
EvilVOG

i have a female that has a permanent issue like that. Her tail got damaged, and then healed like that. I suspect it could be surgically fixable... like re-tearing it, but that would be too dangerous. They're just too small for surgery, and it probably doesn't affect their quality of life anyway.

as it is i would stop the salt.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #14 
ZackyBear

Well I think it would heal correctly if he somehow bit it off :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #15 
Gen2387

First of all, that fish is soooo pretty! Great find.
My sister's fish has kind of the same thing only it happened after he bit of half his tail, it grew back sort of funny. It looks a little crinckled and there's lighter spots on it but he's fine.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #16 
Silverfang

My boys anal fin is close to two inches, however the bunching and curling is so severe that it is growing apart in places.

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #17 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post

This is my new boy, Crusoe. He is active and healthy but has that strange thing on his tail. Although it looks like a hole, his tail is part cellophane and I've checked and am 100% certain that there IS fin in that area, no hole whatsoever.

He has had this mysterious thing since I found him in the pet store three days ago. It curls to one side and does not flow like the rest of his fins do when moving. As you can see, it looks brownish and stiff. This is the only spot he has it and I was wondering what it is. When I first saw it I thought Fin Rot. However, it is not melted looking and NO part of him anywhere is looking frayed, shredded, melted, or is missing for that matter.

Could it perhaps be a problem or is it a strange thing that he was born with?

Since I've had him, he's been in water at a steady 78 degrees with some aquarium salt added to help relieve stress and perhaps even help that tail ailment. He has already made a bubble nest and does not show any signs of sickness. He wasn't even nervous or lethargic when I first put him in his tank, just active and explorative. I never saw a fish transition so perfectly, which is why I wonder if it is a problem at all.

MY BETTA HAS THE SAME THING! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE....he is recovering from a torn fin though, but my Betta"s fin does flow, but it looks EXACTLY like that. I would also appreciate some answers!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

my betta lives in hard water btw
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Melted fins (can be from hard water, depending HOW hard), fin damage (rot, biting, chewed, torn, etc), growth defect, are the most common.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #20 
Tikibirds

My CT's all have funky things like that going on with their fins - like little hooks at the end..
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote