Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #1 
vinmac

New to fish keeping: AM I doint it right?

:D Love my betta. Named him Big Blue. I have him in a 10 gal tank with heater, filter and etc. He enjoys chasing and playing hide I got ya with 3 swartzi cories and 2 small guppies that he has not been able to catch and eat. At different times I have fed him Mollie babies and guppies (and once fresh brine shimp?. I feed all of them a few fish flakes, betta pellets, and freeze dries brine shrimp. I do a 1/2 to 2/3 H2O change every 2 weeks with a gravel wash and a 1/4 to 1/2 change once a week. Is this too much or not enough? My aquarium has only been up for a month. Had a ammonia problem immediatly which my local pet shop helped with. I have noticed a redish-brown algae on a white ceramic frog in my tank. Took frog out and washed it. Will this get rid of algae or should I get an algae eater? I have live plants in tank, wood and several ornaments.
I will try to post pictures soon. Also my owner and boss is a male cockatiel named Tweety. :D
vinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #2 
Dtld9

I don't think doing more then 50% water changes is good. The most I do is 50% and that is every other week. The other half weeks I do 20%-30% water changes.

When you say gravel wash do you mean vacumm?

If you are having trouble with algae I would suggest an algae eater of some sort. In my betta tank I have to ramshorns snails and they all live happily with no algae. Ottos work well too. I have 2 in my 10G and I never see a speck of algae. I even throw in algae wafers so they don't end up starving lol. Also cutting down on how much light your tank gets will help with lagae also. I wolud say 8-10 hours of light.

Hope this is helpful.
Dtld9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #3 
tenpaull

make sure you don't change out the filter the same time you do a big water change. so as not to upset the whole thing greatly, at least it will be easier for the microorganisms to reproduce with a mature filter in there
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #4 
vinmac

yes, I do mean a gravel vacuum. Thanks for help!
vinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #5 
It'sJames

There's nothing wrong with big water changes as long as the tank is fully cycled and well established. But that doesn't mean you should just do one big water change occasionally. It can be difficult to keep optimum water quality in a 10 gallon. 50% water changes once a week would be great. What tenpaull said about the filter pad is important if you are doing bigger water changes.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Two 25% changes a week would be better, otherwise you risk stressing your fish too much and throwing your tank into a mini-cycle.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #7 
tenpaull

with all the different suggestions maybe you are having a hard time.
I advice you to try what you think is suitable for you :) It might just work ;)
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote