Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
LOL
i am FAR from NY.
Aw I was hoping someone will finally take it off my hands :P
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #22 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Aw I was hoping someone will finally take it off my hands :P
LOL
i wouldnt mind at all. That 75 gallon needs cycling.

I spoke to hubs and he doesnt wanna drive to the petco when there is a petsmart right next to win dixie :'(
Should the PetsMart not have what I need. What snail or other bottom feeder can I get? Tank is 5.5 gallons BTW
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have two ottos as the reliable cleaning crew for my planted tank... From memory petsmart doesnt seem to have a great variety of snails. or shrimps from that matter, but thats just the pet smart here :P But I've found aple snails to be generally useless. My tank is pretty much overun with malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorn snails. I've avoided pond snails like the plague they are. Maybe MTS? I've found them to have a smaller bioload as compared to the other prolific breeders

edit: oooh you said next to the window? Get some real plants!!!! lol they will starve out your algae in no time. And by real plants i mean like, real aquatic plants, not the bamboos and mondo grass petsmart seems to be selling these days...

Last edited by ao; 05-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #24 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
I have two ottos as the reliable cleaning crew for my planted tank... From memory petsmart doesnt seem to have a great variety of snails. or shrimps from that matter, but thats just the pet smart here :P But I've found aple snails to be generally useless. My tank is pretty much overun with malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorn snails. I've avoided pond snails like the plague they are. Maybe MTS? I've found them to have a smaller bioload as compared to the other prolific breeders

edit: oooh you said next to the window? Get some real plants!!!! lol they will starve out your algae in no time. And by real plants i mean like, real aquatic plants, not the bamboos and mondo grass petsmart seems to be selling these days...
I've been wanting to get some. But I thought that would just create more algae. Another thing is I change up the scenery once a month. Wouldn't that a toll on the plants i bury?
I know the petsmart by me mainly has mystery snails and i THINKG MTSs

ETA: I dont think my set up is going to be big enough for even 1 otto.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 05-24-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #25 
FishyFishy89

I've been reading up reviews on Mystery snails and everyone says they eat algae like crazy o.O
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

Get some java fern. Tie them to rocks and you can move those around as much as you like =D ditto anubias. and when a tank has plants, it takes the nutrients away from the algae and actually prevent algae growth. People have said that they are not highlight plants. But i've had some java fern on my window sill which gets about 4 hours of partial sunlight a day and its doing great.

I'm not sure about the snail =D maybe there was too much left over food for it to take out my algae. But then again, it was trying to get it to eat the more stubborn algae that no one else would eat
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #27 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Get some java fern. Tie them to rocks and you can move those around as much as you like =D ditto anubias. and when a tank has plants, it takes the nutrients away from the algae and actually prevent algae growth. People have said that they are not highlight plants. But i've had some java fern on my window sill which gets about 4 hours of partial sunlight a day and its doing great.

I'm not sure about the snail =D maybe there was too much left over food for it to take out my algae. But then again, it was trying to get it to eat the more stubborn algae that no one else would eat
do you thnk it would nom the brown algae/leave my plants alone?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

My snails never ate plants, unless it's dying plant matter... I'm not sure T__T I've heard different opinions on whether snails will chow down on your plants. but I'm pretty sure if you're going to get plants with rigid leaves like anubias and java fern, they will leave those alone.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #29 
ZergyMonster

I've had my Mystery Snail in my heavily planted tank for about 3 months now. He has yet to eat any live plants or any algae. He does like to nom all the decaying plant matter and any left over food; I'm sure that if there wasn't any other option that he would have eaten my algae but I guess it's like eating bologna or steak.

Nerite tend to focus more on the algae as well as MTS that is why I recommend them because they will clean up your tank faster than a Mystery snail and won't grow huge either.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #30 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I've had my Mystery Snail in my heavily planted tank for about 3 months now. He has yet to eat any live plants or any algae. He does like to nom all the decaying plant matter and any left over food; I'm sure that if there wasn't any other option that he would have eaten my algae but I guess it's like eating bologna or steak.

Nerite tend to focus more on the algae as well as MTS that is why I recommend them because they will clean up your tank faster than a Mystery snail and won't grow huge either.
sweet
so should the MTS start to bloom and over grow my 75 gallon
where do i put them?