Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #31 
ZergyMonster

Usually MTS won't over populate, they spawn as long as there is food to be eaten(Algae,food,decaying plant matter). SO they will usually top off at a certain balanced point where there is a perfect amount of snails to food ratio.

If they do become too populated you can always put them on top of some wood and smash them with a hammer, and then toss them into your compost pile or trash can.

Smashing them is necessary to give them a quick death over suffocating or drying out in the compost or trash can.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #32 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
Usually MTS won't over populate, they spawn as long as there is food to be eaten(Algae,food,decaying plant matter). SO they will usually top off at a certain balanced point where there is a perfect amount of snails to food ratio.

If they do become too populated you can always put them on top of some wood and smash them with a hammer, and then toss them into your compost pile or trash can.

Smashing them is necessary to give them a quick death over suffocating or drying out in the compost or trash can.
i flinched when you said to smash them
but if worse comes to worse. a swift and painless death would be best. :'(

should i see some eggs, can i just pick them out/toss them into the trash or would the babies suffer as well?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #33 
Cargo

This isn't related to algae, but just wondering where did you get the crocodile skull? I want one.. I also think its a bit odd that in my seven months of caring for my fish, I've never had any algae.. they have natural sunlight for about four to six hours a day, and I turn on their lighting for about 6 hours a day. So they are getting a total of about 10 hours of light.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #34 
ao
TFK Moderator

mts dont lay eggs :) they give birth to uktra miniature versions of themselves
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #35 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
This isn't related to algae, but just wondering where did you get the crocodile skull? I want one.. I also think its a bit odd that in my seven months of caring for my fish, I've never had any algae.. they have natural sunlight for about four to six hours a day, and I turn on their lighting for about 6 hours a day. So they are getting a total of about 10 hours of light.
From Wally World
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #36 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
mts dont lay eggs :) they give birth to uktra miniature versions of themselves
Yup MTS are live bearers so they don't lay eggs. MTS are also nocturnal so you won't see them when your lights are on; they burrow into your substrate so chances of seeing them during the day is minimal and it will be hard to tell if you're overpopulated.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #37 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
Yup MTS are live bearers so they don't lay eggs. MTS are also nocturnal so you won't see them when your lights are on; they burrow into your substrate so chances of seeing them during the day is minimal and it will be hard to tell if you're overpopulated.
darn
so even if i have the light on past 5 or 6pm they'll be hiding? (bbbbaaadddddd habit of mine xD)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #38 
ao
TFK Moderator

lolol mines always active and around. because They're in the tank I love overfeeding. I keep my lights on for 16 hours a day usually :D but I have so many plants and algae eaters in there its hard to grow algae.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #39 
ZergyMonster

I never see mine in the daylight hours but I guess if they are hungry enough or happy enough that the livestock around them isn't going to eat them they could be out and about during the day.

I have my lights on from 10am to 9pm I'm sure that you not getting to your lights isn't a problem.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #40 
FishyFishy89

So my PetsMart didn't have any MTSs in stock they only had mystery snails in.
So at $1.99 I decided to give a blue mystery snail a try.
Figured don't knock it till ya try it.

He got to work immediately when i put him in. We shall see what work he does tomorrow.

BTW: here are the results of my water tests

nitrate: 20
nitrite: 0
Hardness: 75 SOFT
chlorine: 0
alkalinity: 300 *i think(will be running another test)*
PH: 8.4

And ammonia is 0

ETA: 2nd test is all the same except the PH reads more 7.8 now

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 05-26-2012 at 01:15 PM.