Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #11 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Perhaps you could find homes for them?

An unfortunate part of the breeding process.....
I understand some fish need to be culled, but he's talking about culling most of his spawn, probably multiple spawns, several times a year. Fish who's only defect is that this one is a little too red, this one's tail isn't at the perfect angle, this one has some iridescence, ect.

If you were to do that with any other animal in the pet trade you would be imprisoned for animal cruelty.

What do we tell new people asking about breeding in here? Don't do it unless you're prepared to care for/ find homes for 100+ fish.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #12 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
I understand some fish need to be culled, but he's talking about culling most of his spawn, probably multiple spawns, several times a year. Fish who's only defect is that this one is a little too red, this one's tail isn't at the perfect angle, this one has some iridescence, ect.

If you were to do that with any other animal in the pet trade you would be imprisoned for animal cruelty.

What do we tell new people asking about breeding in here? Don't do it unless you're prepared to care for/ find homes for 100+ fish.
Well, the best way to find homes for breeding bettas is to not breed ordinary pet shop type bettas... Breed the top of the line and you will be assured to find homes for the majority of your fish!!!
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #13 
aikio

Nothing Happen after 5 day breed... what wrong????... just black dot.... tq
aikio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

Please make a new thread for your questions.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #15 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post

I noticed that culling really isn't discussed here as much as other forums. Some breeders out there breeding bettas won't sell or give away fish that aren't worthy of being bred and shown. Their way of contributing to higher quality fish overall.

Ideally you are right though, I agree when you go into breeding you should be prepared to care/ find homes for up to 100 fish. The way people cull their fish varies by person and country...

Culling in the quote you find disturbing might not really mean killing either. Though I don't know offhand. Maybe more background on the breeder would explain better.

Regardless of how someone culls fry in spawns, It is still going to be a touchy subject. Many breeders have large fish and feed the fry to them. I personally find this the least disturbing way of culling. You are responsible for providing food to the large fish. You could go get feeder goldfish, which may or may not be healthy, or feed fish you know are healthy that you raised. It isn't fun feeding live animals to animals but at least you know their life is being given to another so they can live.

I've erased the next paragraph so many times,........ but rats mice, cows chickens, deer, goats, quail etc are often "culled" this way for us to eat, and our pets.... It's why some people go vegan. Even feeding your betta pellets or flakes kills a life so he/she can live......

I don't want this to turn into a fight :( If this turns heated I sure hope a nice mod erases this. I'm not challenging anyone's views..

Good compilation of articles though Mr. V.

VOG- Don't think I forgot about you saving that tailless little female from Meijer either. I'm still in love with that little fish! Still think it was really good of you to bring her up in the forum so MollyJean got her. :D Seriously NOT fighting with you over this, just was bringing up some views on the taboo subject.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #16 
Sceven

I don't plan on breeding for a couple of years, but it is definitely something I want to get into later on, for now I will read what I can. But I really want to know, how many fry can I expect to make it to adulthood?

Last edited by Sceven; 05-25-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #17 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceven View Post
I don't plan on breeding for a couple of years, but it is definitely something I want to get into later on, for now I will read what I can. But I really want to know, how many fry can I expect to make it to adulthood?
With proper care, all of them.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Sceven: Bettas can lay between 700 - 1300 eggs. Many breeders average (in my area) only about 300 to adult. I've read people here can produce up to 200+ while first timers average around 20-50. So the numbers vary depending on how good you care for them .... and luck. lol
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #19 
mellyjelly321

I wonder... when they cull over in Thailand, do they just drop them into the river to join the wild population? I would be interested to know what there culling process is over there. Especially since they are the original betta breeders, have been doing it for several generations, and spawn SO many frye! I'm genuinely curious how they handle this over there and from breeder to breeder.

Anyone know?
mellyjelly321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As far as I know they would sell what ever they can. They cull overstock quality (specially females) or pass it on to their friends/group. Culling is often done by turning them into feeders.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote