Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #31 
Micho

Here's another update on my tanks with pictures!

So only two of my tanks are NPTs now, the 2.5g and the 10g, reason behind this is because well, remember the Crypts I bought? Yeah they kinda all melted, to the point where there was no rescue, so I tossed them aside, there's a few left but not much. I need to find hardier plants, along with that reason I've noticed even with the LED lighting the Edge can't support plant life. I also got some Cabomba, messy little plant also really hard to plant since there's no roots just the stem. I moved my Dwarf Gourami into the 10 gallon, I feel like he wasn't doing really well in the Edge, he was glass surfing a lot of the time, and I found that really worrying, so I moved my Plakat boy into the Edge, and the RCS too, pretty sure they got chomped on by the Gourami. I've only seen one so far. . .

My Fluval Spec is still empty, I'm going to get another Betta soon, hopefully tomorrow if my mom isn't too lazy to drive me, might get a Halfmoon or a Crowntail, whatever is pretty! My SD boy has been blowing bubbles like mad lately for some reason. He used to blow them a lot too when he lived in the 2g but stopped when I moved him into the 2.5g. Guess he's back to doing it again.

So my plan for tomorrow if I get to go to my LFS is; get four more Rummynose Tetras, get four more Pygmy Cories, see if there's any Bettas worth buying (if there is I'll need to pick up another heater), get some plants that won't die on me, get some RCS, and last is to get some NLS.

Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #32 
MaisyDawgThirteen

How many rummynoses and pygmy cories are in the 10 gallon right now?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #33 
Sakura8

In my personal experience, LED lights are bright but they don't have the ability to penetrate the water so that plants on the bottom get enough light. They're bright but not strong, if that makes sense. I do think they're making significant improvements in LED lights though but not for the Edge.

Both tanks look absolutely gorgeous, by the way.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #34 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
How many rummynoses and pygmy cories are in the 10 gallon right now?
I have four of each right now, during my transition to NPT I made a lot of mistakes (you can read all about it in the last page), so some died off. Bumping the numbers to eight each will help them much better, since they're both such tight shoaling fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
In my personal experience, LED lights are bright but they don't have the ability to penetrate the water so that plants on the bottom get enough light. They're bright but not strong, if that makes sense. I do think they're making significant improvements in LED lights though but not for the Edge.

Both tanks look absolutely gorgeous, by the way.
Yeah I got the LED lights with the tank, luckily. I wouldn't want Halogen bulbs, the LED lights get hot enough wonder what the Halogen bulbs would feel like. Yeah that make sense, maybe they made the new changes to the new Edge? The one that holds 12 gallons.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #35 
Sakura8

Halogen lights are super hot! I remember I had a halogen bed lamp and it burned a hole in my pillow. o.O The new Edge is really nice too and they've even come out with cool looking stands for them. Ah, if only I had the space . . .
Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #36 
Micho

Yikes! That must have been scary, really glad now I have LED lights instead of Halogen ones, good thing it came with the tank, or I would have to buy the LED lights seperate. Still trying to figure out some easy care stem plants. I need to take a closer look at what my LFS has to offer when it comes to plants, might just get tons of anubias and call it a day, since they're so easy to take care of, and virtually impossible to kill.

Yeah the new Edge looks smashing, 12 gallons, you could do a community tank with that, be a great center piece to a living room since it looks so stylish.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #37 
Sakura8

Bacopa carolininia, bacopa monieri, and wisteria are good easy care stems. Try rotala indicia (also known as rotundufolia). Hygrophilia corymbosa stricta is a good low-light one, too.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #38 
Micho

I have some Bacopa Monnieri already, it's kinda annoying too because it latches onto the leaves of the Wisteria and when I move the Wisteria they get uprooted but at least it's not dying in my tank, got some Water Wisteria too but they're floating right now, maybe I should shove some into the substrate and see how it does. I've seen some Hygrophilia before at my LFS, I'll take a look around and see. I'm lacking some stem plants after my major Crypt meltdown.

Thanks Sakura. :)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #39 
Sakura8

No problem. Good luck. :)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #40 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Pitluvs has (or had) just one dwarf gourami and it seemed to do okay. Most stores only stock the males because they're prettier.
My single male dwarf is in a 29g community with large swordtails and he's quite territorial with them lol We don't have females here so I settled for just him. He was the last in the store (none new since) and his buddy was dead :( My guy is VERY nervous though, I really don't think he likes being alone species wise.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote