Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #1 
sushismommy

Betta Fish Food and Temperature?

I have been keeping him in 70-80 degrees. Occasionally it gets above 80 degrees. Will that hurt him? He seems pretty lethargic in 74 degrees right now and I don't have a heater for his tank, and I don't want to change the water too much.

& How much should I be feeding him?! I am feeding him right now a pinch of those flakes and he is on a feeding schedule twice a day.. Someone said 3 pellets and 10 flakes per meal. Am I correct on that one?!
sushismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
Mo

It depends in the sizes if each individual pellet or flake, if you are feeding flakes there really is no specific measurement for feeding them as there would be with specific brands of pellets. What type of flakes are you feeding?

Usually you don't want the temperature to fluctuate that much, 80 is a fine temperature and is what most breeders have there conditioning or growing bettas at. I would recommend getting a heater and letting the minimum of the temperature being 76-78

Good luck
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 
sushismommy

Thank You Mo. How much does a tank with a heater cost?!?! Because I'm on a very limited budget until I start my job.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 
sushismommy

Oh I am feeding Betta Min Flakes. Yeah I just gave him a whole bunch because I'm afraid I haven't been giving him enough because I have only been giving him 3 flakes at a time, but I learned that was only the rule for pellets. I'm hoping to god I didn't feed the little thing too much because that's how they die but this thing on here said that they should have a rounded belly. Please help... Was like 10 flakes too much for one meal?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
Mo

10 very small flakes is enough. And depending on your tank size a heater can vary from 10 dollars to a hundred dollars. Usually for tanks downwards of 10 gallons, the heater will cost downwards of 20 dollars
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 
sushismommy

My tank is really really small haha like 1 gallon. I would have to get a new tank.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

As long as it is at least one gallon (any smaller really is too small) then a 10-15watt heater would do the job.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Just keep in mind a 1 gallon tank requires VERY frequent water changes to prevent fast ammonia build up. I'm not sure exactly how often, since my Betta is in a 10 gal I only need to do a once a week change- but since I am cycling my tank it usually takes about 2 partial water changes.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote