Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
lordsatan

What materials can I use for decoration?

I was recently (30 days) given a surprise gift of a small (2.5 gal Aqueon mini-bow) tank and bettas...along with plastic plants.

I'm probably going to dispense of the plastic plants for live ones, but I would also like to add some decorative touches....but what materials can't I place in the tank. It would be obvious that certain metals would corrode and probably "poison" the fish...but can I use any plastic, ceramic, porcelain, etc? Do I have to worry about certain paints chipping or corroding of decorations?

How about wood (would it rot)? or polished wood?

I just want to get a good idea of safe materials that I can use.

thanx much
lordsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

No metals whatsoever except stainless steel.

The general rule is- if you can boil it for 30 minutes without it losing color/melting, it is pretty much safe. Plastic plants will rip a bett's fins- they need either silk plants or live. I prefer live- they have many benefits and add a really beautiful touch! You can buy driftwood to put in the tank but I do not think any random wood is safe. You can buy a small UN USED terra cotta pot. It is recommended to soak in in a bucket of water for 1 day- as sometimes it puts off color. you can put things like mugs or styrofoam cups.

Here's my tank... :) http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102385
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 
lordsatan

teeneythebetta, thanks for the info. that gives me something to go on. I really want to be very careful about what I put in there. I never know what materials can give off what chemicals over time.

I have silk plants in there now, but was definitely leaning towards live.

thanx again
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Hi LordSatan, and welcome to the forum. I noticed that you mention plural bettas. A 2.5 gallon divided is really pretty small to be holding two fish. I strongly recommend getting a second 2.5 gal and removing the divider, giving one for each fish. :) Alternatively, getting a 5 gallon and dividing that would be another good option. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #5 
lordsatan

so far, they seem very healthy and very active, but that's funny, I just ordered a second tank.

I was also debating between a split 5 or another 2.5 but I think the 2nd 2.5 is the better choice...If I buy a 5, then the 1st 2.5 is wasted and I read that the filter on the Aqueon 5 gal is barely enough

though, I will need twice as many outlets and do twice as many water changes, etc...

thanx
Old 05-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsatan View Post
so far, they seem very healthy and very active, but that's funny, I just ordered a second tank.

I was also debating between a split 5 or another 2.5 but I think the 2nd 2.5 is the better choice...If I buy a 5, then the 1st 2.5 is wasted and I read that the filter on the Aqueon 5 gal is barely enough

though, I will need twice as many outlets and do twice as many water changes, etc...

thanx
Sounds great! I forgot to mention the space thing like te other person did :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote