Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Aquatic Plant reproduction questions?

I have 5 total plants in my betta's tank.

I have had my java fern for two weeks now and I have noticed baby plants growing on the ends of it's leaves.

My el niņo fern had a baby that was about 2 inches tall on it when I bought it but the roots were so tangled and messy- I just threw it out.

Ok so my questions...
1. Do I remove the baby plants by hand and replant them or will they eventually fall off? (or just get tangled?)

2. How do amazon swords, onion plants and anubias congenisis reproduce? Can I remove the babies?

3. Would they be worth selling on craigslist? (I have plenty of plants already and do not need more!)

Thanks any extra info appreciated! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Anubias can be propogated by splitting the rhizomes. Java fern usually have messy roots when full grown, you can tie them down to something, dont bury the roots as these plants take nutrients from the water column. i think amazon sworsd send off stalks with plantlets. The onion palnt should propagate the way the allium family does, by producing mini bulbs ... dependin where you live you can sell them for less or more on craigslist.

Fo the Java fern I like to let them float around until they're big enough to look pretty. that will take a while... like a month or two
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Thanks so much!!

Also, can anybody indentify these two? One is an amazon sword and the other is an anubias congenisis.. But I mixed them up when placing them. I tried google searching but the ones on google don't look like mine really and I'm confused. xD

plant number 1: (right)

Plant number two (it is in the back right)

I think the amazon sword is number 2. But im not sure and I would rather know for certain rather than guessing. xD
Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #4 
kfryman

Number two doesn't look like an amazon sword and one looks as if it is the small variety of a sword plant, not an amazon sword. If course pictures can make size hard to tell.

Anubias and java fern both shouldn't actually be planted. It isn't because they take nutrients from the water, because water is every where in the tank,but because the rhizome will rot. In case you don't know, the rhizome is the piece that the roots and leaves grow from. Make sure those are above the substrate.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Number two doesn't look like an amazon sword and one looks as if it is the small variety of a sword plant, not an amazon sword. If course pictures can make size hard to tell.

Anubias and java fern both shouldn't actually be planted. It isn't because they take nutrients from the water, because water is every where in the tank,but because the rhizome will rot. In case you don't know, the rhizome is the piece that the roots and leaves grow from. Make sure those are above the substrate.
Ok :P I was going off what petsmart had them labeled.. But I guess you never really know how valid their information is. xP
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Actually, anubias root can be planted. as long ad the rhizome is kept above the substrate. Ive never done the same with javafern so I cant say...

curly leaf is onion plant.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 
wystearya

I know I would be interested in buying a few plants. Especially anything fast growing. Java Fern is a fast growing plant, correct?
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I know I would be interested in buying a few plants. Especially anything fast growing. Java Fern is a fast growing plant, correct?
Java ferns are slowwwwpokes :)
try water wisteria, elodea, water sprite or maybe some indestructible duckweed, IME even Java moss grows faster than Java fern.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

Anacharis also grows like mad. In my experience I've had my Amazon Swords grow really quickly as well. Red Ludwigia if you have the lighting for it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 
N03113

The first plant (the sword) looks like Echinodorus ozelot...

For the java fern... Don't just pick them off by hand, you can use a sharp razor blade to slice off the rhizome it's attached to. This is the same for Anubias. The leaves themselves will not just grow a root structure - and a clean cut is best.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote