Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #91 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I think complaining about the color of text someone uses is kind of silly.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #92 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
As long as I can read it. Which means no yellow. I can't even begin to read yellow.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #93 
Creat
Member
 
Creat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
I think if done humanly dwarf betta would be cute and i would be interested however it would be a life project at the least. No one should breed malformed fish or abuse them to be smallee by stunting. But if one ended up naturally being smaller that would be where to start.... just my 2cents.... heres hoping i dont get shunned
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #94 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
I know there are "bonsai" koi being developed, koi who are selected because they genetically stay smaller than other koi so they are bred to produce this line. But I believe this line of koi is being developed in conjuction with geneticists at UC Davis.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #95 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Okay I see where it got confusing.
Also I felt in no way offended.

Yes this implies that a smaller fish would be less likely to survivec a disease or sickness, but this is only if the fish(in this case) actually gets the disease. Also it doesn't mean that it's a definite that they are going to die or live.

Also I never said that smaller fish would just not survive he natural selection process. They may or may not. As we all know with sicknesses our immune systems get better and build up.

Also all fish IMO don't have the same resistance. If you have a source that proves all fish have the same resistance, I'd be happy to read it and better knowledge myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Sorry if you felt offended... But take that premise. Time for sickness to travel through a body. Doesn't this imply that a smaller fish would be less apt to survive an illness? So smaller fish would be less likely to survive the natural selection process? It would just seem to follow what you are saying, that's all.

On the other hand, My premise is that all fish having the same resistance to immunity, the smaller fish would have less infection to fight off. So all things equal out.

Jeff.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 05-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #96 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
As long as I can read it. Which means no yellow. I can't even begin to read yellow.
Yellow is hard for me to read against the light blue background of this page.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #97 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I think if done humanly dwarf betta would be cute and i would be interested however it would be a life project at the least. No one should breed malformed fish or abuse them to be smallee by stunting. But if one ended up naturally being smaller that would be where to start.... just my 2cents.... heres hoping i dont get shunned
+1 :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #98 
PaintingPintos
Member
 
PaintingPintos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Very far away from you!
I've got this guys....
My dream job is to be a scientist, like a genetic engineer
I want to poke around with DNA, and make horses with antlers (it's just a cool idea!) and 8 foot tall sheep. And purple goldfish. And domestic cats that grow up to 5 feet long. But not with all the painful breeding and culling and sorts. I reassemble some DNA and -boom- mini fishie ;)
Many people like small animals because they're just adorable and more appealing. At PetSmart when I see a baby betta in bad condition my heart just melts because I feel so terrible for it....but yes, the only mini thing I do not like is mini horses. Either it's riding size, or Breyer size.
Oh, and I also want to engineer horses to be the size of Traditional Breyers.....yup.
But the first step is to overcome the huge problems with that sort of "jumping".....health problems and diseases. Once I eliminate those, onto the market they go ;)
Yes, I know what hard work it is to be a genetic engineer, blea, blah, bleeee, bla, blah, bleh, don't even get me started on a rant now!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #99 
BeckyFish97
Member
 
BeckyFish97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
But smaller organs are possible! Look at the newborn fry, they have organs that are almost too small to see. I don't understand the premise that smaller bred fish would squish larger organs over a smaller fish?


Oh well....
Jeff.

I'm not contesting the fact that smaller organs are possible, because everything is possible, what I am saying is that newborn fry ARE born with tiny organs which grow, YES smaller organs are possible in smaller fish, the point I was trying to get across is that you can shrink a betta and its organs but it would take a lot of time, money, AND there would come a point when the fish would just not survive because the organs got so small!I'm not sure what I said to make you think that I thought breeding a smaller fish would mean that the organs would stay the same size and be squished up into the fish's body. Also you say about fry, platy fry cant be moved out of water in a net untill they are at least a week old, because the stress on their organs litterally blow up their insides!(gross I know)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #100 
jeffegg2
Member
 
jeffegg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westland, Michigan
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
is it possible to breed mini bettas since it's possible to breed giants? I personally think that would be really cool and adorable and I'm pretty sure many people would agree :)....
Well now we have decided that it is indeed possible because anything is possible!!!

The biggest obstacle is, well, no one wants to do it! So if you want mini Betta's, you'll have to do it yourself.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.5 Mini Bow Omboc Betta Fish Compatibility 3 03-15-2011 06:03 AM
Mini Bow 2.5 nikkilee Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 02-23-2011 10:07 AM
2.5 Mini bow....again. BettaCee Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 06-13-2010 01:28 AM
Mini Bow 5's BettaSCHmacK Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 8 01-27-2010 10:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.