Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #11 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
If you started to treat him with aq salt you need to finish course of 10 days. Do not stop the treatment.

Also i would disinfect his 2.8 gall. and everything what was in it. Did you have live plants?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #12 
SarahandOscar
New Member
 
SarahandOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
If you started to treat him with aq salt you need to finish course of 10 days. Do not stop the treatment.

Also i would disinfect his 2.8 gall. and everything what was in it. Did you have live plants?
I've heard 7-10 days, why is there a variance of opinion?
i will finish the 10 days, just curious.

Every time i do a 100% w/c i scrub everything with a new toothbrush in scalding hot water....
No live plants just silk ones, a decoration the heater and a leaf hammock.

One thing i did notice if discolouration on the bottom of the hammocks, the wire was exposed to the water so i spent a ages removing the wire from them all last night without damaging the leaf...

I thoroughly rinsed the hammocks when i was done so there would be no residue.

Thanks for the help =)
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
I never ask why 10 days , i learned it from Oldfishlady. And she is the one on the forum that i think everyone learned from. And i have her instructions it 10 days . I guess it the course of the aq salt. I never saw instructions for 7 days.

I would disinfect everything in the tank with 50/50 vinegar and water. Boiling water and salt. Stir it , let it sit to cool down. Wash it very well with hot, warm cool water. Let it soak in the clean water. Let it dry out in the sun for a few days. Wash it again. Put it back when you will transfer him back in his 2.8 gall.

Don't know really know about hammock. I don't like discoloration from the wire. I would wait for someone help or if you know if it ok. I have no idea.

Good luck give us update.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #14 
SarahandOscar
New Member
 
SarahandOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I never ask why 10 days , i learned it from Oldfishlady. And she is the one on the forum that i think everyone learned from. And i have her instructions it 10 days . I guess it the course of the aq salt. I never saw instructions for 7 days.

I would disinfect everything in the tank with 50/50 vinegar and water. Boiling water and salt. Stir it , let it sit to cool down. Wash it very well with hot, warm cool water. Let it soak in the clean water. Let it dry out in the sun for a few days. Wash it again. Put it back when you will transfer him back in his 2.8 gall.

Don't know really know about hammock. I don't like discoloration from the wire. I would wait for someone help or if you know if it ok. I have no idea.

Good luck give us update.
Wow thanks for that, My boyfriend is going to love even more fish stuff laying around the house hahaha oh dear.

So far he's not clamped any more, swimming around fine, he's always eaten normally and i'm starting to see a bit of blue creep back, the ragged edges are still there but there's definitely some improvement!

The hammocks are fine, just something i noticed...
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #15 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Sorry i forgot about gravel. Is it smooth or has ridges?
I would be very careful if it has ridges. If you can't change the gravel. Than be extra careful with everything that has ridges. Soak it in the water , wash it a lot ....
I had just one sick fish for all the time that i have bettas. I change the gravel. I was afraid to use old one. But instructions i gave you it from some one on the forum who i talked and she does it all the time.

Just again extra careful with anything that has ridges.

Also really good to let it sit in the sun that will kill bacteria and fungus because it dyes on something that not alive.

It also another method to disinfect. I did it before 10% solution. Let it sit for 10-15 min. The rest instructions are the same as for vinegar....

Also aq salt can be used in dosage of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall. So if you think his tail getting worse you can increase the dosage.

Good luck give us update
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #16 
Karebear13
Member
 
Karebear13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
sorry I haven't been on here lately! Glad to see others are giving you advice and ANHEL is great :)
and sounds like everything is going fine I will keep an eye on this post :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #17 
SarahandOscar
New Member
 
SarahandOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Sorry i forgot about gravel. Is it smooth or has ridges?
I would be very careful if it has ridges. If you can't change the gravel. Than be extra careful with everything that has ridges. Soak it in the water , wash it a lot ....
I had just one sick fish for all the time that i have bettas. I change the gravel. I was afraid to use old one. But instructions i gave you it from some one on the forum who i talked and she does it all the time.

Just again extra careful with anything that has ridges.

Also really good to let it sit in the sun that will kill bacteria and fungus because it dyes on something that not alive.

It also another method to disinfect. I did it before 10% solution. Let it sit for 10-15 min. The rest instructions are the same as for vinegar....

Also aq salt can be used in dosage of 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall. So if you think his tail getting worse you can increase the dosage.

Good luck give us update
I have smooth gravel, This weekend i'm doing a HUGE clean out before i move my 5 boys into their larger homes, i have some vinegar ready at home and am hoping for a sunny day!

He's actually alot more active than my other boys at the moment which is strange, I think they know somethings going on haha. I'll take a pic tonight of how he looks after day 5 of salt treatment. He's getting really good and swims straight into the cup when i change his water now.

Anhel123 Thank you so much for your guidance, i guess any first time treatment is an anxious time for any new mum or dad and i really appreciate all your pointers and patient step by step help!!
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #18 
SarahandOscar
New Member
 
SarahandOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
sorry I haven't been on here lately! Glad to see others are giving you advice and ANHEL is great :)
and sounds like everything is going fine I will keep an eye on this post :)
Thanks for checking in! i'll try post pics tonight, i haven't seen a drastic improvement but it is there. seeing as i'm half way i may up the dosage a bit to try speed up the healing process.

Thanks again
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #19 
SarahandOscar
New Member
 
SarahandOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
So

Good luck give us update
Ok so he's doing much much much better!! Now i know the warning signs i've noticed all my 4 boys have a little rot so they're all in hospital tanks which is frustrating cause i finally have all their 2.8 gals set up and waiting for them but i'm glad they'll be able to go to their new homes happy healthy and rot free, i'm just going to have to be patient..... *twiddles thumbs*

Question - if the rot has not 100% gone by the end of the 10 days (as in am i expecting him to return to his normal colour?) i stop the treatment and have to wait 7 days before restarting, OR do you think the salt has done its job and i can keep him in his hospital tank changing the water daily WITHOUT the salt to finish the job before i move him to the 2.8? also what are the recomended water chanegs for 2.8? i'm a little worried seeing as the recomended 1 x 50% and 1 x 100% didn't seem to work in my 1 gals or maybe it was my inexperience that made it more stressful.

Thanks again for all your help. you've made a difference in one little fishies life and for that he is eternally grateful i'm sure =)
Attached Images
 
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #20 
Karebear13
Member
 
Karebear13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I would say that after seven days you should be fine to put him into the 2.8 gallon and just keep the water clean and do water changes and the fin rot should go away naturally... Fin rot isn't too harsh of a problem and usually can just be treated by clean water... so I wouldn't start the salt treatment back up again unless it gets really bad for some reason... I have a 3 gallon and I do a 50% and 100% weekly and my little guy is thriving
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad reaction to aqu. salt IamBonner Betta Fish Care 20 09-30-2011 12:46 PM
How much and what kind of salt for normal use? adamxaotmic Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 09-22-2011 06:12 PM
Bad Reaction to Green Tea? SVC Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 10 09-12-2011 10:08 AM
What's your reaction? fishman12 Betta Chat 53 01-21-2011 10:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.