Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I'm pretty sure it is. Shiloh, Shadow, Georgie, Suzi, Sarah -breathes in- Reggie, Riddle, Admiral, Marge, Tina, Zebra and Rose all had ammonia burns, plus other bettas I've had too, including a newbie, LaLa and Misteltoe have minor ammonia burns.

A 0.5 can get so much more ammonia in it because of the small space. That and cold water can lower the immune system, making him susceptible to diseases and parasites. I clean my 1 gallons every other day, unless they need every day cleaning via the burned ones, rotted ones, ich ones.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Here are the answers:

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75 ** little cool for a betta. get closer to 80*
Does your tank have a filter? No ** needs one, especially with lack of water changes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No ** not needed as bettas are air breathers and too much water movement is a stressor.
Is your tank heated? No ** needs to be
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets ** hopefully these are a high quality..
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets every other day ** depending on the size of you pellet that is really not enough. A 1mm size pellet my adults get 4-5 twice a day. With smaller .5mm pellets they get closer to 30 per feeding. I prefer the smaller pellets as they do not cause the bloat the larger ones do. Probably not enough nutrition going into him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Lately, not often :< Last time was a month ago ** This is a big no no. Your tank should be siphoned down a good 50% at LEAST twice a week. Stick a bottle of ammonia under your nose and imagine breathing that 24/7 for a month. You'd look like crap too if you didn't keel over. And a sponge filter will help too. You will need to establish some bacteria in the sponge and it will take several weeks to cycle. During that time you need to test the water and keep the ammonia at ZERO.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% **good.. but once a month not enough. you will have ammonia at unacceptable levels in just a few days. Everything you put in that tanks stays in that tank till removed.. siphoning and water changes.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner ** what kind? not all are created equal.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/a
** these are needed. You have to know the complete picture to know what needs changed. Get drops.. the strips just are not accurate enough.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is smaller ** half starved
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sitting on bottom. Not eating. Seems to be straining, gills moving quickly ** possible ammonia poisioning
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix (drops last night)** what is this supposed to be treating?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 year
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #13 
sarak

Hey, I totally hear you on this. I've made mistakes with this fish (big ones) and I get that. I feel terrible about it. I'm trying my best to make it right.

Today I'm moving him into his new, heater, filtered aquarium. Will do it slowly. I appreciate everyone's input. I'm stopping bettafix (as to what it was supposed to treat, woman at petsmart was sure he had internal parasites).

And I'll get a drop kit for testing water perimeters. And feed more -- I was told 3-4 pellets every other day. And flakes from time to time. I'll bump it up a bit.

Realizing that I've probably poisoned this fish to near death is a rotten feeling.
sarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Um, yeah the lady who "thought" he had internal parasites... is his poop stringy, like a thread or a clear hair, with broken poo on it? That's how I learned my one female got parasites and I'm using Jungle Fizz Tabs as "bettafix" or anything with "fix" at the end doesn't pinpoint the problem, and can cause more problems.

Flakes are not needed. At all. Ever. they cause bloat, they are not as nutritionous for bettas. I feed mine about 4 pellets daily :) for my older or littler ones they get 2 in the morning, 2 at night to avoid bloat or overfeeding all at once.

I will say he looks a lot like my Admiral did (pic attached) He was not well fed, his water wasn't very clean and he had clamped fins, he was mal-nutritioned to a point I thought he would whither away and die. They told me he wouldn't make it so he was dirt cheap for me to get. I tried all the same.

If in case parasites COULD be present (my question of how, and how long you've had him) Jungle fiz tabs are awesome, made for 10 gallons per tab (so divide into 5, and plop 1/5 in)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrinking beta, sick betta