betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Definately some epsom salt needed.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #12 
BETTACHKALOVE

Ok 5 pellets x 2 times a day in opinion it too much. I think that why he is bloated like that. Bettas stomach the size of their eye.

If he is bloated from food and constipated the Daphna the best. How long you fasting him. If one day give it another day, don't feed with pellet for one more day. If he pooped it good. Give him more daphnia. If his bloating is better you can give him one pellet.
I hope it not internal parasites so you don't need medicated food. I really think he bloated from food. When you start feeding him again with pellets give him 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. You can give him daphnia. I do also feed my bettas with dried frozen blood worms. Sometimes in between pellets like a snack or instead of pellets in the morning. Be careful with blood worm also don't give a lot .

You wrote his poo is not white or clear but different . Doesn't look like other bettas poo? What do you mean.

If his poo is normal, and you check it again, than i hope he don't have internal parasites. Normal poo is brown or it can be the same color as food that he ate , but not white, clear wormy shape. It can be round or it can be short stringy with round at the end. Just make sure not white,clear color

Just buy Epsom salt. Don't use it yet. If he is pooping and his bloating go better hold on Epsom salt. Don't feed him another day see if his bloating is better.
Make his water super clean.

EDIT: If he bloated after 2 days that you are fasting him and don't poo than you will need Epsom salt.

i

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 05-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #13 
BETTACHKALOVE

wow you have so many bettas :) I have just 8.

I just was thinking. One time we had topic on the forum about how much to feed betta.
And of course we all do differently. Not a lot of people that i read give them 10 pellets a day. It also depends on the size of the betta. Or some bettas can just prone to get bloated. For some bettas 10 can be fine for other obviously too much :)

Also i read that bettas can get constipated from dried freeze blood worms . I feed my bettas about 5 pieces instead of pellets in the morning about 2 time a week. So be careful if you feed with blood worms. I don't feed with live food because i am afraid they can get parasites. But i am probably wrong. I just want to be safe than sorry.
I really think your little guy bloated from too much food, which is also good. At least it not internal parasites that can kill fish.
Good luck. Give us update. Still check his poo :)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #14 
KasaraWolf

Oh gosh, lots of answers XDDD Well, unfortunately, Mr. Bloated does have an internal infection. I bought so API General Cure, but I am not sure how much I should put in and if I should change the water everyday. The box says put in the medicine, add more in 48 hours and then I think it says wait another 48 hours and change the water 25%
KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

Wait do you think he has internal parasites? Why?

Still use Epsom salt with medications. It will help to clean out his system.
Do not share anything between him and your other fish.
The instructions for 10 gall.
I would change the water completely and add medications. Just have whole pocked of medications on disposable plate. Divide it -half of the pocked is for 5 gall. Then divide that half - it will be for 2.5 gall. Than just add a little bit more ...

But why do you think he has something going on?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

Definitely if he still having a problem , if he has parasites or not you need Epsom salt. You can use it along with medications. Just pre mix it in one gall jug for the right dosage 2tsp/gall. Also i would pre mix medications . Don't just put it in his tank.