Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #11 
lelei

This is also another one to take a look at especially with the sale right now at Petco..I am planning on this one for our next betta..

Hawkeye Aquarius Panaview Aquarium Kit, 5 gallons, 16.25" ... - 27.99 - petco.com
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #12 
Cargo

I think I'm going to just ask for a 10 gallon aquarium and hood starter kit. They're only $35, and I have $100 of my own money. I'll just save up for a bit more.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #13 
Reaux

http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Gallon-Pic...8140426&sr=8-1

This is the next tank I'm personally looking at. I love the look of rimless but don't like the Fluvals. Don't get me wrong, their designs are neat but by the time you've done all the changes and upgrades needed you would have been better off just starting with a tank. I also like the ADA tanks, I've been looking at a ADA 60f myself, but I go back and forth. Anyway, this tank is a good tank for the price and looks snazzy!
Reaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 
Cargo

Well guys, I've decided on the Fluval Flora.

I chose it because it has a hood, and it comes with Fluval Stratum. The Stratum would cost you another $8 to $10 if you were to buy it separately. Also, its 7.9 gallons which is a good size for a betta and some tankmates. I love live plants, and the light is 13 watts, which is almost 2 watts per gallon, so I can do some mid light. I may buy a clip on light in the future, because I wanted microsword.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #15 
N03113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
Well guys, I've decided on the Fluval Flora.

I chose it because it has a hood, and it comes with Fluval Stratum. The Stratum would cost you another $8 to $10 if you were to buy it separately. Also, its 7.9 gallons which is a good size for a betta and some tankmates. I love live plants, and the light is 13 watts, which is almost 2 watts per gallon, so I can do some mid light. I may buy a clip on light in the future, because I wanted microsword.
I ended up buying a second 13w light from amazon - but you could add any other light fixture as well. I also mixed the fluval stratum with some sand as I didn't think the fluval was deep enough... Might be nice to top with some small gravel though.. fluval stratum is nice, but can be difficult to keep plants planted into it until they have a good root structure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine - also I recommend removing the faux rock foam or at least making sure it's super secure on the glass - there have been instances of it coming detatched and can fly up to the glass top knocking it off... Though I think it's nice looking :)
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #16 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N03113 View Post
I ended up buying a second 13w light from amazon - but you could add any other light fixture as well. I also mixed the fluval stratum with some sand as I didn't think the fluval was deep enough... Might be nice to top with some small gravel though.. fluval stratum is nice, but can be difficult to keep plants planted into it until they have a good root structure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine - also I recommend removing the faux rock foam or at least making sure it's super secure on the glass - there have been instances of it coming detatched and can fly up to the glass top knocking it off... Though I think it's nice looking :)
I am thinking of a betta, an otocinclus, and ten ghost shrimp.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #17 
N03113

Quote:
I am thinking of a betta, an otocinclus, and ten ghost shrimp.
A single oto might not be best... they do better in min group of 3 to feel secure as they are a schoaling fish. Also make sure if you do decide on otos to get the vestius variety... they are smaller and will do fine bioload wise.. commonly vestius and vittatus can be confused.. vittatus are a little larger than vestius.

Not sure if you already have shrimp housed with a betta, but be wary that ghost shrimp (being tiny) can potentially be eaten by your betta. They are cheap usually .33 cents or so.. If all else fails, will be a good snack. But they aren't very efficient as a cleanup crew for algae as much as say Amano shrimp.

Ghosts are pretty light when it comes to bioloads so if you do get 10, not too bad.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #18 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N03113 View Post
A single oto might not be best... they do better in min group of 3 to feel secure as they are a schoaling fish. Also make sure if you do decide on otos to get the vestius variety... they are smaller and will do fine bioload wise.. commonly vestius and vittatus can be confused.. vittatus are a little larger than vestius.

Not sure if you already have shrimp housed with a betta, but be wary that ghost shrimp (being tiny) can potentially be eaten by your betta. They are cheap usually .33 cents or so.. If all else fails, will be a good snack. But they aren't very efficient as a cleanup crew for algae as much as say Amano shrimp.

Ghosts are pretty light when it comes to bioloads so if you do get 10, not too bad.
Are you sure Otocinclus are schooling fish? I've done a bit of research and it says they aren't.. which I originally thought. I can't get amano shrimp locally, not sold at my local PetSmart or Petco, which happens to be 17 miles away.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #19 
N03113

Quote:
Are you sure Otocinclus are schooling fish? I've done a bit of research and it says they aren't.. which I originally thought. I can't get amano shrimp locally, not sold at my local PetSmart or Petco, which happens to be 17 miles away.
http://www.otocinclus.com/behavior.html

http://www.squidoo.com/otocinclus

Quote:
Otos are very social fish, they love to be around other otos and if one swims off from the group to find a new food source, most of the group will follow until they are within inches of each other again. If the oto you are looking at is by itself, and seems to avoid the company of others, you do not want it as it may be sick or dying. They do best in schools of 3 or more, and the larger the school, the more fun you will have watching them dart around the tank at top speeds.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #20 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Marineland Crescent - Image Results

This may be another option, less expensive than Fluval, almost same design..:)
I have 2 three gallon versions of this. My only complaint is that sometimes the filter rattles. But all it needs is a good tap and then you're fine. Really bright. Fish love it.
Attached Images

lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote