Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

What would you diagnose this as?

So I'm not even certain that Dahvie is ill. Sometimes he acts lethargic other times he's darting around all peachy.

However, I do notice some different coloration on his body and I know for a fact he DEFINITELY has fin rot.

I don't think he's bloated I think he's fat, I caught him eating the bottom swimmers food. I don't have to worry about this anymore because I have moved him to the 2.5 gallon tank and that is where he's permanently staying.

So before I just assume all is well and end up being wrong what do you think? The white specks are not on him they are bubbles on the glass. And yes, I'm aware the gravel has yuck on it, brown algae is quite a nuisance

This photo was taken during one of his rather mopey lethargic moments
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

He looks fine to me... Some bettas can get lazier, especially when they are older. I have ones who swim around, do their thing then they laze about

How often do you do a water change, especially since he has fin rot now?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

Once a week but now that he's in the 2.5 gal I'm probably going to do it 2 times a week unless instructed differently
Old 05-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Right now for the fin rot, the twice a week should do him well. Try leaving him in though, otherwise it could stress him out to be cupped/netted/scooped :)

You have a heater in there?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Right now for the fin rot, the twice a week should do him well. Try leaving him in though, otherwise it could stress him out to be cupped/netted/scooped :)

You have a heater in there?
nope. if i put one in it would boil the fish my room gets extra hot considering it's an upstairs room. By morning i'd be having a fish stick for breakfast.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

ahh!! I have a fish room usually set to 90 degrees with a room heater :3 right now it's about 82, leaving my fish at 78ish.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #7 
MaxGreenMDE

my room gets so hot that the tanks usually set anywhere around 72-80 so i'm sure if i was to try a heater it'd shoot that up to 90
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #8 
Basement Bettas

Really hard to see clearly.. he does seem dull for the colors he is. Need to clearly see the head and base of the dorsal as that is where you see problems show up.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia is the big question. Anything other than zero and you stress the fish and they will get lethargic. Picture yourself snuffing ammonia and you get the picture of what the fish must live in. Even a little is too much. Doing a 50% water change will not help a fish in ammonia readings of 8 as you still have a reading of 4 when you are done. If you don't have a test kit.. get one. Not the strips.. drops. If the water is not healthy neither will your fish be.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

If you get an adjustable heater, set it to 78. It won't raise the temperature passe that and if the temperature of the tank is... let's say...82, the heater will be off as it won't keep heating and heating This avoids the fluctuations to 72, which isn't healthy for them
Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Really hard to see clearly.. he does seem dull for the colors he is. Need to clearly see the head and base of the dorsal as that is where you see problems show up.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia is the big question. Anything other than zero and you stress the fish and they will get lethargic. Picture yourself snuffing ammonia and you get the picture of what the fish must live in. Even a little is too much. Doing a 50% water change will not help a fish in ammonia readings of 8 as you still have a reading of 4 when you are done. If you don't have a test kit.. get one. Not the strips.. drops. If the water is not healthy neither will your fish be.

There's nothing different about his head and dorsal fin, no strange markings or rips. Just the dull colors and momentarily lethargic.

He's swimming like normal now so I'm thinking he just may have been stressed out in the 10 gallon. His fin rot is also looking better I see parts of his tail and such growing back.

I don't have a test kit and I know I'm going to get reamed for this but I just can not afford one. All I can do is take water samples to work with me and have them test it there and every time I have done so they have said my water is safe.