Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #21 
Cargo

AqAdvisor says I can have one betta, three otocincli, and six ghost shrimp. My stocking level would be 111% but I don't have a problem taking out a little bit of extra water when I do a water change. I've had a betta get along with african dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp before, but I'm not so sure about otocincli.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #22 
Reaper

Get anything but the Chi. While it looks cool, it's not. I made a top out of lexan, added led light strips. The filter works well although inconvienant to clean/change.
If I were going to do it again, I'd get an Evolve 8
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #23 
Cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Get anything but the Chi. While it looks cool, it's not. I made a top out of lexan, added led light strips. The filter works well although inconvienant to clean/change.
If I were going to do it again, I'd get an Evolve 8
Decided on the floor. All glass, hood, decent lighting, comes with stratum, 7.9 gallons. Perfect.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #24 
N03113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
AqAdvisor says I can have one betta, three otocincli, and six ghost shrimp. My stocking level would be 111% but I don't have a problem taking out a little bit of extra water when I do a water change. I've had a betta get along with african dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp before, but I'm not so sure about otocincli.
They get along fine, though every betta is unique in which tankmates they will tolerate and observation is certainly a must.

http://nippyfish.net/ is a great site with betta information including tankmates and potential issues. http://nippyfish.net/bettas-101/tank...atfish-bettas/

The only issues I have run into with Otos and Bettas is feeing otos sinking wafers - my betta tends to steal the food.. much fasting was done. So, I've had to look into alternatives to make sure the otos are getting enough food.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #25 
N03113

Double Post removed
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #26 
happypappy

i just picked up an aqueon 2.5 gal kit at Petco for around 32.00. full hood, light, filter and for me a perfect size for a betta. They now sell a divider for this one, but I like to house only one betta here. Also the crescent 3 gal is a great tank, although the filter is much to strong for a betta.

good luck --
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #27 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypappy View Post
i just picked up an aqueon 2.5 gal kit at Petco for around 32.00. full hood, light, filter and for me a perfect size for a betta. They now sell a divider for this one, but I like to house only one betta here. Also the crescent 3 gal is a great tank, although the filter is much to strong for a betta.

good luck --
I've never had issues with the current in the crescent. You can turn it down. Of course I do have plants in front of it that may be baffling some of the flow.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote