Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 
baileyellicott

Fancy Guppy problem!

My little brother's fancy guppy died last night, and hes very upset. He had beautiful yellow fins. He had him in a 5 gallon with 5 other guppies and 2 corys (i know its overstocked, but no one in my family listens to my fish advice). Anyway, he seemed to have a tiff with another of the guppies in the tank, but he didnt seem injured when i looked at him when i took him out of the tank. Also, my brother might have over feed them, but wouldnt the other ones have died too? (i just found out they were feeding them 2-3 times a day, thats way to much, no?) anyway, were just trying to solve this mystery.
baileyellicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear about Mr. Guppy :( If he's overfeeding them that much he's probably got water quality issues. How often is the water changed in the tank?

Does he have a water testing kit?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #3 
Fabian

I suggest you tell your family to get a 10 gallon tank.I feed my guppies once a day,not too much,not too little.Also you should do some water changes.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

With overcrowding and overfeeding I'm willing to bet he has water quality issues. The guppy probably died as a result of ammonia/nitrite poisoning compounding the stress of bullying. If you have a test kit, test the water. You should also try to convince him to change the water in the tank every week. A live plant would probably help, too.

If your family won't listen to your advice, tell them to look it up online themselves.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #5 
Fabian

Quote:
With overcrowding and overfeeding I'm willing to bet he has water quality issues. The guppy probably died as a result of ammonia/nitrite poisoning compounding the stress of bullying. If you have a test kit, test the water. You should also try to convince him to change the water in the tank every week. A live plant would probably help, too.

If your family won't listen to your advice, tell them to look it up online themselves.
True
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #6 
Sheldon31

I agree. I think it's probably down to poor water quality. Families can b a pain sometimes when trying to advise them on proper care. I have the same problem sometimes but at least you try. It will be even harder to have them either rehome the fish or watch them die of poisoning so maybe tell them openly and frank, the guppy probably died from ammonia/nitrite or nitrate poisoning and the cause was probably over crowding and over feeding.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 
djembekah

maybe you can get your brother a ten gallon kit for his birthday or Christmas or fourth of july or something x3 Walmart has one pretty cheap, and then you can teach them about cycling and stuff that way?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote