Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #11 
arin

thanks so much for your replys i will wait a week and if he is no better i will try the salt treatment....thanks again
arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #12 
arin

well its been a few days since my little mans fins got stuck and i didn't see no improvement. Did a 100% water change this morning and i added that salt treatment and water conditioner let it stand for a few hours before i did the change. Since i don't have a heater i got a small jar and put hot water in it and placed it in his tank. OMG he loves it. he has actually been swimming around ever since he hasn't done that in days. I ordered him some almond leaves and i'm just waiting for them to arrive.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #13 
earthworm88

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. If it has been a few days and you only changed the water 100% now, then you haven't changed the water enough to keep it pristine.

Quote:
Did a 100% water change this morning and i added that salt treatment and water conditioner let it stand for a few hours before i did the change
What do you mean by this? Do you mean you only used the salt treatment for a few hours? I read it as you mixed it all up and waited for few hours before doing your 100% change. Just wanna make sure there is no misunderstanding on how to use the salt treatment. If you are doing the salt treatment now, again, it's 1 tsp per gallon of conditioned water, to be changed 100% daily for the next 10 days while maintaining a good water temp.

I would strongly recommend getting a small size heater (10-25W) for your tank to maintain the heat consistently. Doing the method you mentioned can fluctuate the water temp which is not a long term solution for your betta and can be detrimental to his health.

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #14 
arin

Acutally i was changing the water like you said for a few days to see if it would help and it didn't so yesterday i started the salt treatment i did 100% change yesterday and today with the AS the same way. also i did pick up a 10W heater today. He is doing much better his fins are still alittle stuck today but they are much better. and he is much more active as well. I will keep up the treatment for 10 days and hopefully he will not have any problems. oh after the 10 days i should just stop adding the salt and do 50% and a 100% change weekly?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 
earthworm88

Well done! It will take a while for the fins to recover so I won't expect everything to go back to normal after 10 days. The purpose of the AQS is to prevent the fins from getting infected as well as giving your betta daily fresh water.

Yes, after 10 days, stop the AQS treatment. Because your betta is having fin melt which you are trying to reverse, I would do 100% water change twice a week. Be sure to feed a variety of diet if you can get your hands on them, such as frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp, and good protein pellets. They will help to give him nice strong fins.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #16 
arin

I do have several different foods frozen shrimp....freeze dried grubs and i have high protein flakes I meant to get pellets but picked the wrong bottle but he seems to like them anyway....i have noticed a difference in his fins everyday but do know that it will take awhile....will be posting pics when he is all better. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #17 
arin

Well my Handsome Dude is doing much better his fins seem to be all better even has some new growth but i just noticed that he has alittle tear in his tail fin. Not sure if it was from the fake plant or not. could this tear be a problem or should it heal fin. there is no redness or anything.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #18 
earthworm88

Great job! Have you tested your fake plant with a pantyhose? If it snags, then it may be a problem for your betta's fins too. If you keep the water clean, the fins will heal by itself in no time
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #19 
CFox759211

Thanks Earthworm.... I just posted about fin melt... I was using a pinch of AQS every time I changed Sushi's water, along with a few drops of BettaFix. I was told at the aquarium store to put a pinch of AQS in all the time to help prevent disease, etc. I then read about BettaFix causing fin melt in some bettas. My guy's fins looked exactly like Arin's photos, except a little worse. I immediately changed his water and added conditioner along with AQS. He does have a heater and the temp is currently at 82 (it's normally around 78). He seems to be doing fine so far. So thankful to see that it is possible for them to recover from this. His fins were so beautiful. I checked him closely with a flashlight (he's very dark blue) and can see no other signs of fungus or spots, so my feeling is it was caused by the BettaFix.
CFox759211 is offline   Reply With Quote