Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #1 
thecaptain

Do fish grieve?

[img]Hey there Betta Gurus! My baby's name is Harold and he's been down in the dumps after his frienemy Kumar died. I don't want to get another one because of time issues...Is there anything I can do to help him with his depression. BTW I know you're gonna say something about the size of the tank, but I tired to put him in a really expensive 5 gallon with all sorts of stuff and he freaked out! I waited like 2 hours but he kept on flaring & running into the sides of the tank. I think he had a panic attack? Anyway if you know or have heard of this just let me know please

thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #2 
It'sJames

What is he doing that makes you think the loss of the other betta is bothering him? I've had fish that seemed to get "attached" to their buddies in the tank, but I never knew that was really what was wrong with them. Do you know why the other died? Maybe whatever it was that killed the other has affected Harold. Have you checked your water parameters? If the other betta was a male also, Harold may just be a little more relaxed without the other one near him. Two males will be very territorial, even if they aren't in the same tank.

And if you still have the 5 gallon around, you might want to try it again. Sometimes it just takes them some time, a day or two, to adjust to new surroundings. Given time, I think he would probably be more content in the 5 gallon. If the tank had a light, maybe that's what was bothering him. If you try it again, make sure to provide a hiding spot for him.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #3 
bf2king

make sure the 5 gallon is cycled.
bf2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #4 
It'sJames

Yes, yes... I forgot to mention that. That's important, but then again, the container he is currently in probably isn't able to really cycle. With only the polished rocks, there's not much surface for bacteria, and doing any bit of a water change would get rid of most of it. If it were me, I would go ahead and move him into a 5 gallon, and do partial daily water changes until it's fully cycled. It's only one fish, and there would probably be less ammonia in a uncycled 5 gallon that in a little bowl (as long as you did daily water changes for a bit).

Using the water from the bowl and the rocks would help. As long as you did that, it really can't be any worse than the bowl. That's all the bacteria there is in the bowl, so using that, and then having several more gallons would definatly be better.

But that's just me.....
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #5 
bf2king

your probably right there. but i am pretty sure that anything under 5 gallons can NOT cycle. just do 10% water changes daily and get a liquid test kit (if u dont have one) when ur parameter's are ok then go to 20-30% weekly.
bf2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #6 
It'sJames

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way. :D

How'd you come up with your user name? My name on www.ultimatebettas.com is thecaptain.... Great minds think alike??
Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 
thecaptain

thanks

Thanks for all your great answers! I'm sure Harold will enjoy his new home after a while like you say. Kumar died a day or so after a suicide attempt. While I was putting them in their new split tank, he did some sort of flying leap & landed on the ground. The tank has five gallons on each side with a removable blackout panel. I did have his water checked and it's in great condition, so it's not that. The captain is what my son calls me so I use it a lot as a username. Thanks again!
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote