Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #1 
Sceven

Space for Breeding

Hi! I have been doing a lot of research on proper breeding (Mostly from this sites veteran members). And I know I need to start right, quality fish, preferably brother and sister, and time (which I have in the summers). Now I just have a question about space. I will be getting a house within the next three years (hopefully closer to 2), for now I live in a town home. And what I wanted to know is, if I wanted to do one spawn with just one set of parents to begin with, how much space would I need? Given that I will probably have a smaller spawn with it being my first time.

Am I correct in believing that I need a 10 gallon for the breeding and to raise fry, and a tank for my male and female separately? And then of course jars for the fry once they need to be separated. If that is the case I can probably do it in my town home, if I need more, then I might need to wait. But I will do what is best for my fishies. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 
AFishTale

[quote=Am I correct in believing that I need a 10 gallon for the breeding and to raise fry, and a tank for my male and female separately? And then of course jars for the fry once they need to be separated. If that is the case I can probably do it in my town home, if I need more, then I might need to wait. But I will do what is best for my fishies. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Most breeders use anything from 5-10 gallons for the breeding tank, and either multiple 10Gs to split the spawn into growouts, or one large growout. (20-40G), depends on the size of the spawn.

Space wise, it really depends on the layout and how many fish you end up with. Hope I could be of help.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
Sceven

That was helpful :)

I am not expecting too much from the first, but I won't start breeding in earnest until I have a house with a dedicated space for breeding fish (I am thinking a whole room for me lol). But I wanted some practice first.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

One big shelf will hold your spawn.

I use shoe boxes as spawn tubs and can fit up to 6 on a single shelf. I can fit three grow outs on every other shelf and have one shelf of jars. You want two shelves at the least. Oh and a 30 gallon is a good size grow out.

So one shelf to hold a 10 gallon, a 30 gallon, and a second shelf for jars.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
Sceven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
One big shelf will hold your spawn.

I use shoe boxes as spawn tubs and can fit up to 6 on a single shelf. I can fit three grow outs on every other shelf and have one shelf of jars. You want two shelves at the least. Oh and a 30 gallon is a good size grow out.

So one shelf to hold a 10 gallon, a 30 gallon, and a second shelf for jars.
Thank you so much, it should be much easier to convince the hubby to go with that. I actually wanted to pick your brain a bit Mr. V would you mind if I PMed you? I am sure you get it a lot, don't want to be a bother.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Sure that's fine :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote