Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 
ttubbs

What should i do?

ok so today i went to petco and i asked for a few ottos for my betta sorrity they told me my bettas would kill them so he ended up selling me a chinease algae eater then after i bought it a girl who works there told me ottos would have been a better choice because the chinease algae eater will get big and kill my bettas so my question is do i return it or can i put it with my male betta hes way bigger than my females

what is your opinions on ottos

will this algae eater be ok with my male betta (10 gallon tank)

or should i just return him i kinda feel bad returning a fish because i know how they treat them

all opinions count to me
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
Sivan

How big is your sorority tank?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 
ttubbs

20 gallons containing 7 female bettas and this algae eater
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #4 
ttubbs

by the way my chinese algae eater is bigger than all my bettas the ones i got arnt fulll grown yet hes im guessing 3 or 4 inches and my bettas are most likely 2 inches
Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

When they get full grown they (chinese algae eaters) will likely harm your fish so I would return it and get the Otto's. I have had them and my betta's never killed them. PM Bombalurina and she can give you great info on both and she will give you the straight facts and not opinions. Chinese algae eaters can get pretty big. Here's a quote from someone who sells them with the web address to follow.

"Companions
Many people, including myself, keep this fish with a very wide range of other fish and it is commonly kept to reduce the algae in community aquariums.
But some individual fish of this species will suck on the sides of mostly larger slow moving fish. This can be very damaging to these fish and will often lead to their death. Although even small Algae Eaters will sometimes do this, it is likely to become more of a problem as the Algae Eater becomes larger. Algae Eaters also become increasingly territorial as they get bigger.
Very large Algae Eaters have been reported to swallow small fish like Neon Tetras. I have never observed this myself, and would not expect it to happen with the usual size of Algae Eaters we get.
With all the problems associated with this fish, the question might fairly be asked “Why do you sell them?” At one time I stopped getting them, but my customers wanted me to have them. They are the most popular algae eating fish. Personally I prefer the Bristlenose Catfish, but Bristlenose Catfish are not always available and tend to be about twice the cost of the Algae Eater."

http://www.bettatrading.com.au/Algae...Fact-Sheet.php

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 05-31-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #6 
ttubbs

ok will do im so scared what i should do with it it semms to be clinging to the sides of my tank with my bettas underneath it do u think it will be ok until tomarrow or should i puut in llon with my male betta
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

I don't think it will make to much of a difference. On the site they say that they can get up to 11 inches long in the right size aquarium. I never new that. Thank you for your threads. You got me to research these suckers. Pun intended.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #8 
ttubbs

what do u think with be better until i return it?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

At this age he's not going to be aggressive with your bettas. The problems start when they get past 6 inches. Return him ASAP, of course, unless you want to start a CAE-only 55 gallon tank, but he's unlikely to cause you any problems over the next few days. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote