Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 
brad himself

Flaring and a frayed tail

Hello all! I have recently bought a betta (and extensively researched them after purchasing) and put him in a suitable tank (6.6 gallon.) I noticed a small hole in his tail after acclimating him into the new tank, and I believe it is from constantly flaring at his reflection in the new tank (he didn't do that in the one gallon I originally bought him in). The flaring didn't stop after multiple attempts to reduce the reflection on the inside, and his tail eventually tore in two. This was yesterday, and this morning I woke up to find the top of his tail completely frayed. It looks brutal, the poor guy.

I just bought this tank, cycled it, I have no plastic decorations: only smooth driftwood, substrate, and live plants. There are no signs of fin rot or infection otherwise. Water parameters are good, and he has no tank mates other than a single ghost shrimp. Also, the filter has a sponge over the intake, so no way is that the cause.

I really just need validation, as I am sure he has been flaring entirely too much for his own good. Can frayed fins be caused by excessive flaring? I've tried everything short of wrapping his entire aquarium in backgrounds to get him to stop.
brad himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 
Shadyr

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make it right, so /validate

Don't have a good suggestion - perhaps as you were already thinking a background or something to put behind the non-viewing sides.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #3 
brad himself

Thank you! After spending some down time at work doing some more research, I've concluded think I'll cover the non-viewing areas as you also suggested. And if that doesn't work, I'll consider changing the room he is located in. Although that will be a hassle. Not to mention I don't trust my family to consider my fish when they are horsing around the house.
brad himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 
tf1265

You also may want to consider the possibility that he's a tail biter. I NEVER saw my male betta biting his fins, but eventually concluded that he must have been because he was in his tank alone and they just kept getting worse.

Frayed fins usually means 1 of 2 things: stress (from poor water conditions, improper acclimation, or behavioral stress), or he's biting them because he's bored.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote