Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 
battered

Inactive betta, but not sick?

I have a betta that likes laying on the sand in my tank or sitting on the sucker pad of the heater close to the surface of the tank (kind of like a betta hammock). He still swims around, he just spends most of his day pretty inactive. When he swims around he looks happy, and I don't think there's anything wrong with him - he's been like after a couple of weeks after getting him. He eats like a pig and always swims up to me when I mess around with the tank. It's a heavily planted tank, heated, filtered, 10 gallons, etc...

I'm fairly confident it's just the kind of fish he is. My question is, is there any way to change this? I just feel the tank gets a little boring when the main focus of it (fauna-wise) is always out of direct sight (and on the ground or in the corner).
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Sounds like it's just in his nature to be chillaxed lol... If you don't have anything other than a betta in the tank and you're wanting more 'interaction' going on for some eye candy, then maybe you should look into tank mates and turn it into a community tank? There's a forum section on tank mates, it'd be a good place to look into it more and ask about specific questions you're wanting to know about ^.^ Or you can divide and maybe add more betta's. It'd keep them separate, but it might be just as appealing for you
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 
battered

He's got 4 cories and 4 feeder guppies to keep him company...which he ignores for the most part. I got the feeders originally for another tank, to get rid of some nematodes I had in a shrimp only tank. I decided to throw them in the 10 gallon - should I replace the feeders with some fancy guppies instead? Petsmart has them for sale right now.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Probably not a good idea. Whilst some bettas tolerate fancy guppies, those long bright tails can make many bettas go "It's another male betta!" *chomp*
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 
tf1265

I agree with the poster above. Fancy guppies are a bad idea.

How are the other fish in the tank? How big is the tank? What is it heated to?

One of the problems with community tanks is that cories prefer water a little colder (72-74 degrees) and bettas like water pretty warm (76-79 degrees). If he's resting by the heater and lethargic, my first thought would be that he's not warm enough.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 
battered

The other fish are active, even more so than the betta. The tank is always around 77-78 degrees.