Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Smile Show your divided tanks here!

Hey everybody,

as most of you know by all of my threads i have been posting, i am going to be dividing my ten gallon after i restart my tank in a couple of years(i know it is a long time, but i have fish already in that tank and don't plan on redoing it yet). I plan to put a sponge filter and heater in the middle with two dividers on each side. Does anybody know how effective 1 sponge filter is for a whole 10 gallon tank? I know nothing about sponge filters, or how to set them up, so i need a lot of advice lol. I was also considering a Aqua Clear filter because i have read good reviews and have heard they have an adjustable flow. Should i get an Aqua Clear or sponge filter? Again, i know absolutely NOTHING about sponge filters! Just hoping to see some of all your great divided tanks and what you used for dividers!

Thanks again,

MyRainbowBettaFish
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #2 
Bounce

I don't have a divided tank but I have a sponge filter and love it. I use a Lustar Hydro 1 filter (recommended for 5 to 20 gal.) in my 10 gallon tank. I'm such a fan of sponge filters, I even keep two Lustar Hydro 2 (recommended for 10 to 30 gal.) running in my 75 gallon just for supplemental filtration and to have in case I have to set up a QT or hospital tank.

They're very simple and run off an air pump and they're good for betta tanks because of their very low current. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they're not very attractive so I just try to hide them behind decorations or plants.

More info about sponge filters here:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ngeFilter.html
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I love both my divided tanks and my sponge filters. I'm setting up a large sponge filter in my goldfish tank right now to be used a QT filter. My current betta filters are home-made sponge filters, but I'm going to be switching to commercial ones when my summer job begins. I whole-heartily believe they are the best filters for bettas. Here are my two divided betta tanks. You can kinda see the bubble filters along the back wall of the middle section.

At the time the first picture was taken, it had stronger lighting than my second one. As a result I'm currently battling some PITA algae.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

beautiful tanks! I will look into sponge filter for sure!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
freemike

I love my sponge filters. Here is a tank I just made tonight for my veil tails. The sponge in this tank is the hydro 0 recommended up to 10 gallons.
Attached Images

Last edited by freemike; 05-31-2012 at 09:48 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

I absolutely live by sponge filters when it comes to bettas! I don't know any other filter that has so much control; what's better is that you can run multiple filters off one air pump! The biggest downside is the noise the pump can make if it or the cable is vibrating against anything though this is usually easy to rectify through some gentle nudging into the "right" position.

I don't have a photo of my divided tank (waiting for it to send from my phone... takes a whiiiile) but I have the heater on one side, filter on the other and they are both pressed up against the divider. My tank is somewhere between 13 and 14 gallons and is also planted.

There are two types of sponge filter you can buy: stand-alone ones (which have a weighted bottom) and stick-to-the-side ones. I like the stick to the side ones, they often have two sponges on them (depending on size) and are super efficient.

Something I'd personally suggest buying if you go for a sponge filter is a non-return valve -- especially if your air pump will be sat outside the tank below the water line. Non-return valves stop the water from being sucked into the air line and going into the air pump and therefore increase its longvity. They cost anywhere between $0.50 and $5, depends on brand you get - they are tiny though so it might be worth getting a spare in case you need to change airline tubing and lose it!

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 06-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 
lvandert

Here's my bachelors pad. Yay crafting mesh!!!
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

great tanks everybody! i really appreciate it! So for the sponge filters, i would need a sponge filter (obviously) , airline tubing (how much for 10 gallon?), and what types of valves?

I would appreciate it if you guys could create me a list of what i need for just the sponge filter. How do you install it? Is their any stores you recommend purchasing them from?

Thanks again and i can't wait to see more of everybody's tanks!

Hopefully my computer will let me post pictures of my tank......

can you please help me with this thread???

here is the thread:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102758
If you can help that would be awesome! I really want to show you guys my tank!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Also, if you guys want to participate in some of my POLLS:

the betta fin shape, color and pattern POLL:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102767

the divided tank game plan POLL:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102868

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #10 
Neil D

Here is my divided 10g tank. ^_^
Attached Images

Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, aqua clear filter, divide, separate, sponge filter