Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #281 
Wolfie305

Thank you so much <3

Just checked on him again today a few minutes ago. He was at the top resting on a leaf, so I gently poked the water to make sure he was still okay. He really didn't seem to care that I touched him, which worries me. Although, they're nocturnal(?) so maybe he was just sleepy?

I can't really tell about his back flipper still. Looks like the claws are still there. I need to really watch him when he's active - at night I assume?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #282 
Chesh

Wolfie, when my frog got into a filter accident, he was in TERRIBLE shape. He was extremely pale, swimming in a very 'floaty' way, and obviously having trouble battling the suction from a filter that he previously had no problems with. In my case, the filter was covered with nylon mesh, but the entire intake fell off and into the tank - poor Speckles was sucked INTO my HOB filter, and possibly could have been in there for hours before I saw what had happened. It was a very dramatic, frightening accident - frustrating after I had done everything to avoid a filter incident!

I moved him to a hospital tank in a dark and quiet area in my home - out of the community, and 'helped' poor little Specks to the top of a bit of Hornwort floating at the top of the tank. He also did not avoid me or try to get away. . .he was too weak. . . and he rested there (with the lights out) for an entire day before coming back down. With his injuries, it was easier for him to be close to the water line so that he didn't have to swim up for a breath of air. By the 48 hour mark, he was starting to LOOK normal again (regaining color), but still very inactive for what I had come to expect from him - and refusing to eat. Overnight on the 3rd day I got him to finally take a tiny bit of food. . . soon after he started acting and eating normally again. About a week after the accident he did a 'damage shed' to remove the skin that had gotten messed up during his ordeal. . .

The point is that today he is 100% FINE, except for a tear in one of his flippers, which does not seem to affect him at all. . .really, there is nothing that you can do but leave him alone, keep the lights out so he can rest peacefully, and hope/pray for the best. These frogs are a lot tougher than they seem in many ways - hopefully he's just taking it easy and letting his body heal. I'd just leave him alone for now... but be observant, and keep an eye out for any redness on his skin.

Just for the record, I've never seen my frog sleep at the top of the tank, though he does do his zen thing up there from time to time when he's in his happy place. He spends less time up there now that he's gotten a bit older, and from what I've read younger frogs will spend more time at the surface than older ones - this doesn't apply to the accident, though.

They ARE more active at night, so I like to feed mine at around 6ish in the evening. I've found that feeding him when he naturally starts waking up for the day (lol) ensures that I get to watch him for a while before *I* go to bed at night - though he will happily take food at whatever time of day I offer it, and he IS active during the day, too. . . just not as much happy swimmy froggy action as in the evenings/nights - and I really LIKE to see him being froggy!

Although you're right - one of the signs of sickness or injury is that the frog doesn't try to escape when you try to catch or touch it, in the future you might find that this no longer applies. I hand-fed Specks for a bit when he was in a community tank, and at this point he comes running every time he sees my hands in his tank (even though I gave him his own space months ago). When I do my water changes, I have to work around him, because he shows no fear - and he's healthy as a horse (um, frog)! Right now your frog isn't feeling well, and so won't be trying to get away - just leave him. I just wanted to mention it so that you know it isn't ALWAYS the case - and a friendly frog is a super sweet thing to enjoy!

Has he eaten since he got hurt? If he eats, it's a good sign that he's starting to feel better. Try to feed him tonight - like NOW, lol - and keep an eye on him for a while after and see what he does . . .

Hopefully something in this entirely too long post will help you out! I wish I could tell you something more -I don't know where our Gizmo has gotten to lately - she's had WAAAAY more experience with these frogs than I. . .

I really hope he pulls through. Poor little guy! *hugs*

Last edited by Chesh; 05-31-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #283 
JennybugJennifer

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG FROGGER IS SINGING TO ME
that's the coolest sound ever!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #284 
JennybugJennifer

Frogger singing!! - YouTube
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #285 
Chesh

That is sooooo awesome!!! :) :) :) *squeeeeee*
I think your little Frogger is turning into a very happy little BOY!!!

Last edited by Chesh; 06-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #286 
Chesh

Wolfie - how's your injured little friend doing? I'd love an update, hope he is well. . .
Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #287 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
That is sooooo awesome!!! :) :) :) *squeeeeee*
I think your little Frogger is turning into a very happy little BOY!!!
Yeah!! Man I do NOT regret having got him even though it was hard at first. Omg he sang his little heart out last night!
Does singing indicate content/happiness?
Did the video work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #288 
Chesh

Yes, the video worked perfectly! Frogger is so cute!

I don't know that it *exactly* indicates happiness, but it DOES mean HE is looking for a mate. My theory is that he wouldn't be 'in the mood' if he wasn't feeling. . . well. . .chipper! Just a theory - but it sounds good to me! Way to go!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #289 
JennybugJennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Yes, the video worked perfectly! Frogger is so cute!

I don't know that it *exactly* indicates happiness, but it DOES mean HE is looking for a mate. My theory is that he wouldn't be 'in the mood' if he wasn't feeling. . . well. . .chipper! Just a theory - but it sounds good to me! Way to go!
Thank you!!!! What a long stressful but fulfilling journey :D
I made my mom go listen to him! I was so happy!!
I have a cycling question I posted in another forum that I wanted to run by you but I'm just going to copy and paste
I have one little ADF alone in a 2.5 gallon tank(I realize is a bit small) which has been set up since approx April 20th but a couple weeks after that because I was under educated I changed my filter media. But haven't done that since. Just 100% water changes. Would it be better to buy another tank with a filter and start over? Or just keep working with what I have? I have no idea how far along the cycling is per say but I seem to run high nitrate/nitrite and low ammonia (I need to buy a new test kit so don't know the perimeters at the moment)
Also he just started singing last night(amazing) does this indicate adulthood? Should I feed every other day?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #290 
Chesh

From what I understand, if he is singing then he has matured (which happens at around 9 months of age). Adult frogs DO need less food than juvies, but since yours was malnourished when you got him, I'd say keep feeding 1x daily for a little while until he gets a little bit plumper. He probably won't GROW very much more, but he should fill out. I couldn't really tell from your video if he's gained any weight (though I assume that he has to have since he started eating well), but his sides should be gently rounded - even when he hasn't eaten. If you feel confident that he has gained enough weight, maybe start skipping one day a week, and slowly go up from there until you're feeding him every other day. Some people do continue to feed their frogs smaller portions daily through adulthood - so that's an option, too.

As far as the cycling is concerned, there is really NO way of knowing if your current tank is fully cycled unless you have that test kit in hand. Sorry. . . I know that isn't what you wanted to hear! If/when you do get a testkit, send me a PM and I'll be happy to walk you through the process step by step until you and Frogger safely come through it. I know you were considering getting a new/larger tank . . . I can't say that this is a bad idea, however. . . if you only have $30 to spend, I'd say it is far more important to keep the tanks you have currently and purchase the API Master Freshwater testing kit. The kit will last you quite some time - and once the tank is cycled, you can use filter media/gravel/ornaments from your old (fully cycled) tank to cycle the new one far more quickly and safely. Depending on how often you've been doing 100% water changes, the tank may not have been able to establish any bacterial colonies at all. . . the only way to find out is to test!

Hope this helps!