Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #11 
Anitax3x

what type of snails do you guys use to keep the tanks clean?? Before I go buy one lol.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #12 
guardianfyre

Mollies can have a brood of fry about every 30 days. They can retain sperm, so your molly might surprise you with a couple more broods before she quits. Balloon belly mollies are a deformity of a standard molly. Something in their genetics causes a drastic curve and shortening of their spines. Same difference between comet and fancy goldfish. baby livebearers will sink to the bottom of the tank for the first few days while they absorb what is left of their eggsacks. Afterwards, they may still stay in the gravel for safety. I wouldn't add a snail until after they're free swimming. As for types of snails, any that work for bettas will work for the mollies. Crushed flake, frozen or live baby brine shrimp, green water all make good foods. As was stated, frequent small feedings coupled with small frequent water changes will help them grow quickly.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

YAYAYAAYAY! So the ones who dart around and then sit at the bottom wont all necessarily die? oh wow my boyfriend and I are SO happy to read this! I'll hold off on the snail, I corralled up the ones who arent free swimming into my breeder (the female molly is back in my 20 gal) Thank you so much for that info! I have the flakes (crushed) and frozen baby brine shrimp which they absolutely LOVED! I'm so happy, Hopefully I can be a good first time fry mommy I'm going to post pictures soon!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #14 
guardianfyre

You're welcome. If they're darting around then resting, that's normal behavior. The hardest part with fry is keeping the water clean because of the frequent feedings. If you remember that small fish = small stomach and perform a bunch of small water changes to keep up with any leftover food, then you shouldn't have any issues.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #15 
Anitax3x

Okay, yeah they eat and poop ALOT! I've been doing bigger and bigger water changes and the babies who were sitting in the breeder are swimming fine now the rest are moving around the bottom ( about four or five) I have pictures I'm making a new thread in the pictures section. yay!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This is a betta forum, you will get little to no response here.
Try logging on to Tropicalfishkeeping.com - it's the "mother" of bettafish.com. You can use the same name in both forums. TFK has a livebearer section where you will get more response on mollies or any other livebearers - about care, breeding, etc.

You can also go to bettafish from the TFK forum

Livebearers can store sperm for a few months. They only need to spawn once and will probably give birth every month. I once had a guppy that gave birth 6 times (6 months) before she stopped. My mollies were without male only for 3 months so I can't say how long she before she stops.

Mollies give birth monthly up to 15 - 40 fry (depending on their size). After the first day, fry are fairly independent and will eat almost anything you feed them. Unlike betta fry, livebearer fry is very adaptive. Just don't over feed and foul up the water. They are easy to keep and grow and before you know it, they will reproduce like crazy.

Last edited by indjo; 06-04-2012 at 01:31 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #17 
Anitax3x

Thank you! I have been keeping up with watwr changes and feeding them. About 4-5 times a day. I think ill be selling most of my fry as I dont have money to keep all of them. But I do want to keep one. He has been swimming and eatig well but he is missig an eye since birth. So i think he will stay with me lol. Thanks all for uour help!!!