Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
FishieLover97

Exclamation Eggs?

Hi so a month ago I bought a male betta fish. A few minutes ago I observed a shape (circular) with small clear either bubbles or eggs. He is guarding it very closely. The problem is its only my Betta which is a male and the only tankmate was a algae eater. So is my betta fish talented at making shapes with bubbles or are these eggs? Did Petco give me a female accidentally?
FishieLover97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 
aqua001

A pic of it would help. He may just be building a bubble nest because he is happy. Also, I don't think females can produce eggs unless they see a male.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure it's a bubblenest. Some females do blow bubblenests and put their eggs in it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
jeffegg2

Cool

Or it could be a Betta Algae eater cross....?

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well as for a serious answer, all jokes aside, it's definitely just a bubblenest. There is no way that a male can produce eggs and to my understanding females don't blow bubblenests.

If the fish has an egg spot on her, it's a female and if it doesn't it's a male.

Also betta eggs would have to be either dropped by a female or embraced with a male. Since there is only one betta in the tank and of view, there could not be any eggs in the nest. Also betta eggs are white.

If you feel the need for further confirmation, take a bright flashlight and shine it under the nest, you would see white dots other than the reflection of the bubbles.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Actually some females DO blow bubblenests.... Dramaqueen is right. There is even a post on the forum here with someone who took pictures of their little girl that actually built a nest and put her eggs inside of it. (Very cute pictures in that post btw!!!)

Females make eggs even if they don't see males too, mostly they just release them and they decay quickly or are re-eaten though.

Your male just probably is content and settled in though. Some males will build bigger bubblenests then others too. If you have something floating on the top of his water like a piece of plant or something, they usually build around that. :) One of my veiltail males likes to cover 1/3 of his tanks surface with a bubblenest, silly guy. :D

When I first got my betta I was taking a spoon and destroying my poor males nests! I didn't know what all the slimy foamy bubbles were in the tank!!!! LOL!! poor fish.. he was probably wondering what the heck my problem was when I got in there and started taking away his nest! :)

Best Wishes and welcome to the forum :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

I was stating that (To My Understanding) females don't blow bubbles. I never said it was true or false. I just don't believe this because I've oly heard one story about it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
Actually some females DO blow bubblenests.... Dramaqueen is right. There is even a post on the forum here with someone who took pictures of their little girl that actually built a nest and put her eggs inside of it. (Very cute pictures in that post btw!!!)

Females make eggs even if they don't see males too, mostly they just release them and they decay quickly or are re-eaten though.

Your male just probably is content and settled in though. Some males will build bigger bubblenests then others too. If you have something floating on the top of his water like a piece of plant or something, they usually build around that. :) One of my veiltail males likes to cover 1/3 of his tanks surface with a bubblenest, silly guy. :D

When I first got my betta I was taking a spoon and destroying my poor males nests! I didn't know what all the slimy foamy bubbles were in the tank!!!! LOL!! poor fish.. he was probably wondering what the heck my problem was when I got in there and started taking away his nest! :)

Best Wishes and welcome to the forum :)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 
AFishTale

My new girl is quite a talented nest blower. Nothing like the males, but still pretty impressive.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I am pretty sure you would have a male. Even a blurry picture can say so Males cannot produce eggs. They aren't asexual :p

On the chance it is a female, she would have more than one of these, but perhaps not all: rounder belly than males, egg spot, shorter fins (not to be confused with PLAKAT males), AND little to no beard. I attached female pictures, and male pictures, just to ease your mind!!!

Females can make nests, and yes they can on some occassions have their eggs in the nest before eating them

first three: female: see how the fins are short, the one female has an egg spot...
last three: male: the long fins, the beard (flaring), and slimmer body shape - more stream lined. The last one is a PLAKAT male.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, eggs, male