Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #11 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Add back in the amount you take out. So you take out 50% of 3 teaspoons, you add in 1.5 teaspoons.

Dropsy is something that literally only 1 percent or less survive from. He may get better, or he may not. There was a blog I found that mentioned their goldie who fought dropsy 5 times but eventually he did die. The reason, is dropsy is from organ failure. When the organ is permanently damaged, the fish becomes more and more fragile.
I don't think it's dropsy though. I think it leans towards swim bladder or something else because his swelling is controllable with Epsom salt and his pine coning has also gone away at one point. And even when it's present, it's very mild. He also swims and seems to be doing okay (not lethargic or anything). I feel like a fish with organ damage/failure would act a bit different.
mlasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

At this point I'd find some metronidazole, in the form of Metro+, or Seachem's brand, to treat... It's considered one of the better cures for dropsy.
It's very possible that you aren't totally irradiating the illness which makes it return, stronger than before.. If you kill out all the weaker bacteria, the stronger ones will have more room to reproduce, producing an immune strain that will be tough to beat... If you choose to continue with the maracyn do not quit treatment halfway through...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #13 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
At this point I'd find some metronidazole, in the form of Metro+, or Seachem's brand, to treat... It's considered one of the better cures for dropsy.
It's very possible that you aren't totally irradiating the illness which makes it return, stronger than before.. If you kill out all the weaker bacteria, the stronger ones will have more room to reproduce, producing an immune strain that will be tough to beat... If you choose to continue with the maracyn do not quit treatment halfway through...
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you think it's okay to stop Maracyn and Maracyn two and switch to what you are suggesting? It says to treat for 5 days and today was the 3rd. I just don't want to do too much and end up stressing him/making it worse. I started with Lifeguard, then switched to Maracyn + Maracyn 2, now thinking about switching again
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you can find what I recommended I would switch as it would be better.
I would provide a day of rest to flush out his body from old medicine before starting the new one..
How urgent do you feel this is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #15 
mlasater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
If you can find what I recommended I would switch as it would be better.
I would provide a day of rest to flush out his body from old medicine before starting the new one..
How urgent do you feel this is?
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty urgent. He's been less active for a few weeks now and showing physical signs of sickness for 6 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
dropsy, swollen