Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

QT?

So I have a king male and a delta male in qt.

King male was bought friday 06/01/2012 and He is healthy, perky, eating like a pig and made a bubble nest. I was thinking about leaving him in qt tank until next friday if all goes well and then adding him into my 20 gal divided. which is heated filtered and houses emerald cories and two african dwarf frogs.
The tank has been set up for a couple weeks now, I have been keeping up with the water changes more than normal simply because I had 2 males in there, but they did NOT like it and started acting neurotic. Once I took them out and put them in smaller tanks, Happy as clams ( go figure!). Anyways, The king male is going into one side, but I wanted to ask

Should I wait longer?? What do you guys look for to make sure betta's are healthy and happy? I heard bubble nests don't always mean they're healthy and happy and I've heard the opposite so I'm not sure. He swims fast, and alot. I always have the hardest time taking pics of my betta's bc they don't stop moving!

Anywho my delta male I bought yesterday 06/02/2012, he has a bit of inflamed gills, I want to keep him in QT longer. Does anyone know what causes inflamed gills? I didn't want to treat him with meds because its not severe and he is eating fine. Would AQ salt help that? I'm not sure about betta disease or sickness. what would you guys recommend, should I keep him in qt until a week or so AFTER he looks all better?

I don't want to introduce any sickness to my tank because I have healthy happy active fish in there. So I'm going to patiently wait for your responses

In sad news My male Triton, died of what looks like dropsy. I only know because I went on bettatalk.com and he matched the description, PERFECTLY. My boyfriend and I were shocked because He looked exactly like the picture. Also his symptoms were exact, poor guy I had him for about a year and he came from petco. RIP.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I tend to quarantine healthy looking bettas, for 2 weeks. Ones who were sick, a week after they are better - just to make sure!

They may be freaked from the new environment, more space, and other critters.

Not sure on inflamed gills - it could be bacterial infection, or just ammonia burns/poisoning. Clean water!! Good food!! Start with that and see how he feels.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

So far my king male has been moved to a bigger qt, leaving the delta in the smaller one. The king is eating and pooping flaring and swimming well

The delta has colored up ALOT and is feisty! he still is a bit inflamed and today when I do a water change I'm adding aq salt as someone told me that would help.

Thanks! I think I'll do that 2 weeks for the healthy one and 1 week after the one with inflamed gills looks better. Just to be safe.

I have healthy fish in the tank they're going into so I want them to stay that way! Thank you so much!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

No problem
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote