Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #11 
Sincerely

Okay I see what you're saying about the rounded edges on the females, still unsure as to what you mean by uneven rays..I can see that more on the first female but not so much on the second.

How about this female? She seems to have a straighter edge than the previous two and has 4 ray branching.

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #12 
tpocicat

She looks good to me.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #13 
MrVampire181

The male is very nice and that last female is amazing!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #14 
Martinismommy

The male is outstanding! I'd look for a nice blue HM female though...I wouldn't breed him to a PK...
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #15 
Sincerely

Alright then, I will continue my quest for a HM female. The only blues ones up for auction right now seem to have extensive branching but poor spread. Although I could breed him to Pandora, I rather see if I could get another blue HM female just for back up.

Thank you all for your feedback! I feel a little more confident in my selection of males...still need to work on that female conformation.

-Sincerely
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #16 
Curlyfatbottom

or a green mask hm female will work
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@sincerely: look at martinismom's avatar - look at the front ray of his dorsal. That's what you're aiming for. You will unlikely find a female of that form for sale though.

Your male has an upright dorsal. So you want a female with at least similar dorsal. Though she may have short front rays, you should produce some upright dorsals. If not, then breed back to daddy for F2. You should get some by now. Then take those F2 and breed to a DT - hopefully you will get those ideal dorsal.

Your male has excessive ray branching. It is safer to breed to a 4 ray female. But excessive ray females would be fine as long as you carefully select F1 or breed out (meaning getting new bettas). Don't breed the ones that show rose traits (btw, excessive rays doesn't always mean rose traits).
Your female doesn't have to be HM. She could be a super delta with 4 rays. BUT make sure she has pointy caudal edges. And above all make sure she has balanced overall fins

IMO caudal spread is the least of your worries since most have been bred to be HM, thus most at least carry the genes (including delta T). But the leaning forward dorsal and anal is something you can't easily find thus should concentrate on maintaining them. Try not to pair him to a female whose dorsal is too (sorry don't know the term) .... like the first or third female. Look for dorsals that opens like a fan.

Good luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #18 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely View Post
Okay I see what you're saying about the rounded edges on the females, still unsure as to what you mean by uneven rays..I can see that more on the first female but not so much on the second.

How about this female? She seems to have a straighter edge than the previous two and has 4 ray branching.

-Sincerely
Oh my! that female in the back is a "must have" for me...
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #19 
Sincerely

So I think I found the female for this male, she is a DT female. What do you guys think? I dont know how to judge the dorsal and anal of a female DT's very well. I like her color very much and she has the ray length I like also she seems to have a nice, long body.

-Sincerely
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #20 
Sincerely

So, I have been reading more about female conformation since I looked into the IBC official standards and have been comparing females from the standard to ones on Aquabid, one of the HM females I was originally thinking about purchasing has too much "Male Finnage" and so I kept on looking for a match.

The DT girl I was thinking about, more I looked the more I didn't like her, I had seen another DT female specimen and she was better looking in every way (Too bad she wasn't blue, green or steel )

Chaba recently posted this girl and I think I'm going to snap her up before someone else does. She seems to have the dorsal and branching I am looking for. Since I have heard purchasing a female with a long first dorsal ray is pretty rare I am going to say this female is matching what I need pretty well. The only thing I can see is that she has somewhat of a short body but it could be the picture.

-Sincerely