Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #11 
Pasqua

Its from kmart actually. its about twenty litres, the brand is..... "Pets etc...". It comes with a filter and a few other things, the tank has a black frame around it so if youre really big on appearance then its not quite as sleek looking as most other tanks but it does the job and I don't have to spend too much just yet on the tank itself =). I'm from Darwin but I have seen this tank in melb before at a kmart there when I was there earlier this year so I am pretty sure they sell it at most of them.

2 hour radius, that is huge!! you must really know where the best deals are
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #12 
Pasqua

I also finally had a chance to try and get some pics of Sebastian.... man that was really hard!! I appreciate everyones awesome little avatar pics a lot more now lol.

Sebastian didn't like the paparazzi treatment much but I found that when I switched his plant to a much leafier one he could hide behind he was happy to just swim around and pose in front of the camera every now and again. Here are some of the better ones I got. The jar he is temporarily housed in is terrible for photos as the glass isn't smooth and the reflections are all over the place. He is much cuter irl =P

And also, below my Sebasatian pics, a pic of the view outside from my backyard, one from five minutes ago and one from just about right now, just because it was too pretty not to share =)

Name:  S1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  S2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  S3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  S4.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  S5.jpg
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  S6.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  20120604 6.40pm.jpg
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  20120604 6.45pm.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #13 
Twilight Storm

Hes a pretty crowntail :)

If those last two pictures are taken outside your house i'm jealous :D

Welcome to the forum too :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #14 
Pasqua

thanks twilight =) i am enjoying being here, and sharing my new betta adventures!

Darwin always has amazing sunsets (right at the top of australia, close to the middle). I am originaly from sydney and the sunsets here never cease to amaze me.. they can honestly make the most amature photographers look like pros lol
Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #15 
Sceven

I don't know if you have them in Australia, but I know that the Petcos here in the states have little ceramic heads that are growing moss on them. I am thinking about getting one for Tenzen and Yashamaru.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasqua View Post
Thanks a123!

I ended up getting a five gallon .... it is cycling now,
Please reassure us that you know about cycling. What is your ammonia source? Do you have a source for nitrifying bacteria (maybe your other tank)? What filter and heater are you using? What substrate? What is your pH? A fishless cycle goes faster with pH in the mid 7s and temperatures >85*.

You sound like you know what you're doing and I hope you don't think of this as a third-degree. I'm only concerned about the welfare of you beautiful crowntail.

What a pretty place you live in, Pasqua. Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #17 
Pasqua

Thanks for the welcome Hallyx =D

I am using fish food for the cycling, and I have swapped the black filter sponge thingy from the old tank to the new one, and put the new one in the older tanks filter. I am not really sure what sort of filter it is, are they called sponge filters? it has a rectangle of black meshy stuff and the water gets sucked in, goes through the black mesh and gets pushed out the top. I set it to a low flow because I remember reading somewhere that bettas don't like a strong current. I don't have a heater for him yet, I still have to find one, hopefully this weekend.

What temperature should the heater be set to for when I put him into the tank? I didn't know a heater would speed up the cycle, I will try to get one installed asap.

The PH is currently at about 7.2 or 7.3. It usually sits on 7.6 (or there abouts) but I think the driftwood has lowered it slightly which is what I was hoping for =)

If there is anything I have missed then please let me know!! I haven't cycled many tanks before and this is the first that I have tried to cycle that has live plants in it =S I have mostly just ignored the fact that there are live plants in there and cycled it the same way I did with my last tank (although I didnt have the filter stuff to swap around in it). Will the plants make it harder or easier to cycle?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #18 
Pasqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceven View Post
I don't know if you have them in Australia, but I know that the Petcos here in the states have little ceramic heads that are growing moss on them. I am thinking about getting one for Tenzen and Yashamaru.

I dont think I've seen those here before Sceven but if you do get one can you post up a picture please?! It sounds like something I would want to put in my tank =P
Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome Hallyx =D

I am using fish food for the cycling, and I have swapped the black filter sponge thingy from the old tank to the new one, and put the new one in the older tanks filter.
Ok. You know what you're doing

Quote:
I am not really sure what sort of filter it is, are they called sponge filters? it has a rectangle of black meshy stuff and the water gets sucked in, goes through the black mesh and gets pushed out the top. I set it to a low flow because I remember reading somewhere that bettas don't like a strong current. I don't have a heater for him yet, I still have to find one, hopefully this weekend.
A sponge filter uses an air pump to make bubbles which, rising to the surface, pull water up through filter foam. Yours is another kind, it seems. That's fine. You're correct about Betta and flow. But your nitrifying bactria like lots of flow.

Quote:
What temperature should the heater be set to for when I put him into the tank? I didn't know a heater would speed up the cycle, I will try to get one installed asap.
The fish likes around 80*. The cycle likes 85* to 90*.

Quote:
The PH is currently at about 7.2 or 7.3. It usually sits on 7.6 (or there abouts) but I think the driftwood has lowered it slightly which is what I was hoping for =)
Take the driftwood out for the cycle. Bacteria like a slightly higher pH. Plants are OK. As much ammonia as you'll be generating, there'll be plenty to go around.

Keep the flow high with lots of aeration. Keep the ammonia up >4.0ppm (but <8.0ppm). Keep the temps up >85*. Those specs will help you get a fast cycle.

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-06-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #20 
Pasqua

Thats good to know that I am on the right track! because I'm really not sure sometimes.

I will turn the filter up to maximum flow while its cycling and then back down to minimum when I put my fishie in? The weather here is just starting to turn, in the hotter six months of the year we would rarely have the temp drop below 80F, but the nights are starting to get a lot cooler now (Yay!! I love the cold weather =D) so I will hunt down a heater. Are you able to give any recommendations on heater types (if there are different types) or brands? All the fish shops that I go into here just tell me that betta fish don't need filters or heaters or anything like that =\ but I know better than that now lol. They are not very informative though.

Oh and I will take the driftwood out for now too, and soak it a while longer in a bucket. =)

Also, one thing I wasn't really sure of, should I be doing any water changes while it is cycling? or should I just let the fish food build up and do a massive water change when the cycle is done?