Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Exclamation Last Survivor About to Die? (TB?)

I have had an incident of mass deaths among my Bettas. Please refer to this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102768 to see how it started and what happened, in-depth.

In short, three of my Bettas all died off one-by-one, starting with color loss and erratic swimming/swimming on their sides, OVER NIGHT. It is unclear if this was because of TB or because of a bacterial infection, but it caught them all because I used the same cleaning supplies on all of their tanks (a lesson now very much learned). Their fins started falling apart and they became very lethargic before passing. I can't even begin to explain how much my heart is hurting right now.

#4, Calvin, the very last Betta to contract the illness, was doing just fine a week ago. There is a video of him in my blog, second to last one on the 2nd page, of him swimming around happily a week ago. The very next day, he was in the corner of his tank, sitting on his head, all day. If you do go through my blog (you don't have to to track this process), you'll see videos of my Bettas the very days before they died, perfectly happy and healthy.

Calvin was put on Tetra Lifeguard All-in-one-treatment for a five day (5 day max) period after the others died, and he was doing fine. It ended yesterday, and now he's doing very poorly again, not moving, and what was once beautiful turquoise is now completely grey, but for bits of red streaks here and there.

Calvin lives in a 2.5gal tank, heated, proper water/ammonia levels, filtered tank with biweekly water changes and Betta Bio Gold 4 pellet daily dinners.

Now I'm afraid Calvin, too, is going to end up dead in the morning! I don't know how much more of this I can take. Can someone please tell me what happened to my fish and how to stop it?

FYI: I have one Betta, Versace, who was never exposed to the same contaminants as the rest. He is perfectly fine.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I am thinking it's something from your equipment :S it still doesnt sound like fish TB to me D:
Hang in there....

have you tried removing the poor thing from its tank and performing half day water changes? I did this with my old fish who had an ailment I couldn't put a finger on. That seemed to have cure it.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #3 
SageMyster

I threw out all of my old equipment and bought all new things, one set for Calvin and one set for Versace. I first took out Katniss, the first fish to die, and put him in another container - did nothing, he still died. Now I have no extra containers to put Calvin in if I wanted to. ):
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I don't have an answer to you but have you looked at the mystery disease thread?

The symptoms of this disease are:

* graphite gray or near black tissue necropsy that spreads from the bottom of the fins upward to the body within hours
* sudden loss of mobility as the swim bladder is affected
* death or conditions so severe that they require euthanasia within 12-24 hours, occasionally as long as 36 hours

The betta will look something like this:
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #5 
SageMyster

My Bettas faded before they died but none turned that grey. For instance, Harlot remained red even though he was sick. Calvin is turning grey but not dark, dark grey like that, and it's starting around his body rather than around his tail.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #6 
SageMyster

He has also stopped eating altogether.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

:(
Really sad. Too bad we couldn't figure anything out. I'll root Calvin on... But sadly all those tanks and stuff, I'd trash (you already said you trashed some stuff). It's a good idea to break them if you can safely so no one else tries to use them...

Treating such a fast moving illness is almost impossible unless you have tons of knowledge and a stocked medicine cabinet...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #8 
SageMyster

Thanks for rooting him on. (:

I've already thrown out the tanks and all the decor that Katniss, Merlotte, and Harlot used, just in case.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #9 
Atena

someone else posted that his betta developed a grey stripe overnight, sadly it died the same day. I don't think anyone ever figured out what it was.

I hope it is not another mystery disease with no cure. I have been following your ordeal but as a new betta parent don't have the experience to help more.

Have you tried contacting oldfishlady?

She has raised bettas for decades and has tons of experience. I messaged her about my water problem and she answered right away, she is really very knowledgeable and sweet.

Hang in there.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #10 
SpookyTooth

I wondered how things were going for you -- agh I'm so sorry this is continuing! I wish I could offer you some form of answer if nothing else but I really don't know. I really hope you're able to find something to explain what's going on -- not knowing only worsens the already awful heartache.

Bah!!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote