Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #11 
cjayBetta

Cant wait for my pet smart to open as the manager MAY be someone I am good friends with.... :) Can keep ALL the bettas sold there happy heathy and the owners WELL informed as she is well aware I will go in there and quiz her staff :D
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

(Selling a 1.3L petco divided container (pencil holder?!)to a couple) "Oh this one can hold two, and its affordable"

That's less than a quart of water for each fish....gah
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #13 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibunkins View Post
So I figured, as a bit of fun ... we could just lump all the silly and dumb things chain pet store workers say in one thread. (If you previously worked for those places, this isn't targeted at you, obviously.)

I'll start with this, as I returned a dead betta this morning:

"The heater in your tank probably didn't help. Betta fish are cold water fish and really don't like heat at all. Would you like a betta care sheet?"

I, of course, diplomatically declined her 'care sheet' and left the store.

Um, my Petco's "Betta Care Sheet" says the same sh!t as the Livebearer Care Sheet . . etc. I got one care sheet for my platies and bettas since I am a few months new to this, and they all say the same stuff.

Having said that .. your Petco person doesn't sound like they read the care sheet.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #14 
mursey

Sometimes I feel like I want to volunteer there just for the betta section and tell people not to get tiny bowls/tanks, and put the little guys in bigger cups. then I remember Petco is a huge corporate place that doesn't deserve my time. :(
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #15 
RedFynn21

Hmm...let's see. This was the most recent advice given to me as I was perusing the heaters at PetSmart--was thinking of buying a back-up, in case one quit.

"What type of fish are looking at buying the heater for?"

I say a betta, and her response:

"Oh, bettas actually don't need a heater. They are absolutely fine with room temperature water."
* I live it Oregon-- it gets cold during night time...all year round. Oh yeah, room temp works, as here it would probably be 50 degrees*

*Rolls eyes* And then I mumbled something about rather not having an ice cube for a betta. Le sigh. Actually, my local Petco is fairly good...and they just so happen to be hiring. Hmm...maybe I should apply, eh? lol

Last edited by RedFynn21; 06-07-2012 at 01:32 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #16 
mursey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibunkins View Post
I'm not a violent person, but I legitimately wanted to smack her. The fiance could tell and gave me that "don't do it" look. I could see maybe if I lived in, oh say, Arizona ... where the ambient temperature of everything is 90+ degrees ...

But I live in Maine. For the last week, it's not gotten above 65. I'm not leaving my fish in a tank of 65 degree water.
Ha, I do live in Arizona and guess what. . my tanks are almost 80 degrees and I have no heaters.

(I just moved here and just started keeping bettas so I assume I will need heaters when it's fall . So far in 2 months my tanks have never gone under about 76 degrees naturally.)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #17 
Knitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
(Selling a 1.3L petco divided container (pencil holder?!)to a couple) "Oh this one can hold two, and its affordable"

That's less than a quart of water for each fish....gah

Our PetWorld has 6oz "bowls" available for sale for Betta fish. I kid you not. 6 oz. I wouldn't put a toy fish in something that small.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #18 
ebettalover963

Well this isn't really what someone said it was on a care sheet

If you see any of the following signs below please speak to a PetSmart store associate or a veterinarian about your pet's health.
Things to Watch For:
  • Unusual swimming pattern
  • Thinness or decreased appetite
  • Abdominal swelling
  • Inflamed or discolored skin or fins
  • Fins clamped to sides of body
  • Scraping body on rocks (flashing)
really I'm not going to my vet (or petsmart for that matter) for betta problems thats what you guys are here for right
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #19 
ZackyBear

"Baby bettas are smaller and easier to care for. They eat less and can be placed in smaller vases until they get older."

Gyah....Petsmart.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #20 
BeckyFish97

OMG JUST SAW YOUR SIGNATURE!!!hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote