Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 
BlueBettaFlo

Dropsy in sorority. what should i do?

I have a sorority with 5 betta in 10 gal aquarium.
yesterday, i discovered that one of my girls got dropsy
her tummy is bloating, and her gill's rose.

i'm afraid that her disease will affect the other girls.
i have do a 100% water change, but i'm afraid it'll be still contagious

what should i do?
please help, i really don't wanna lose my girls
BlueBettaFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Remove the girls and keep them separated. Disinfect the tank by bleaching all plastic parts and boiling the gravel. Clean the tank with a bleach water solution. Rinse VERY well and set back up. Watch the girls. It would be wise to buy some antibiotics to treat it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Definitely separate them.
If you have hospital tanks i would separate them and disinfect main tank like MrVampire wrote with 10% of the bleach solution for a minimum of 10 minutes. But use bleach only for the tank not for anything else. Wash it really thorough(millions time) make sure there is no residue, wipe , rinse . Let it stay in sunlight for a few days to neutralize the bleach. Rinse it again.

Do you have live plants?

I really don't know about gravel. If you can boil it and than let it dry out. But don't boil it for long time, i read that explosion can happen. I personally boiled stones before for about 10 min. But please be careful.

Also i also agree about antibacterial medications. But also wondering if you can use Epsom salt instead of the medications. Don't know about that i wish someone know.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 
BlueBettaFlo

thank you, i'll try to do it :)

i have separated the girls;
maybe tomorrow i have to buy some bleach and some medicine.

actually, yes i have a living plants (and i'm afraid it was the cause of the bacteria), and i throw it right away after i discover the dropsy :)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Usually when you buy live plants quarantine them. The same i would do with new fish.
I am personally using spider plant. If you have one at home. You really can use it.

To quarantine the plants put them in tap water NO conditioner for 2-3 weeks Some plant might die though. I know someone wrote wisteria died but sword and java lived.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #6 
BlueBettaFlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Usually when you buy live plants quarantine them. The same i would do with new fish.
I am personally using spider plant. If you have one at home. You really can use it.

To quarantine the plants put them in tap water NO conditioner for 2-3 weeks Some plant might die though. I know someone wrote wisteria died but sword and java lived.
ah, okay. i'll do it next time :)
and is there any specific sign that the plant's not god for the tank?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

I was thinking, I don’t see how it possible him to get dropsy from the plants . I think dropsy can develop long time before the onset of that symptom.
I think it always possibility to have fish with dropsy, no matter how much good care you will give to your fish. That is why I paranoid to keep them together.

How often and how much you do water changes for your tank?

About plants.

I just ask someone on the forum about plants and there is the answer:
Signs of bad plants:

infested with snail eggs. A few are okay, but sometimes too many is bad!

black algae, or hair algae. This can prove dangerous to a betta, or any fish for that matter. my one female got snagged by it by her gill!

rotting roots: like any plants, aquatic or not, rotting roots is very bad, and the plant will produce more ammonia because it is dying.

brown leaves: some brown leaves are normal. All plants die and grow. But numerous brown leaves are bad.

Is fungus will die when you quarantine? I just don’t understand how it will die. I thought that fungus can survive without fish?

fungus CAN, however, leaving in a quarantine that is cold (under 75) the fungus can die. Same with chlorine in tap water - that can kill fungus (not 100% sure), but can also kill some plants.

Snails fall off and the eggs hatch and fall off. Those are not a huge concern however you wouldn't want to have hundreds.

Tags
dropsy, preventive, sorority