Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
JennybugJennifer

Cloudy water

I change my Betta, jaw's, tank three times a week about 50% but no matter how many times I do it clouds right back up in a few days.
What could this be?
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #2 
Fabian

How many gallons can your tank hold?If you place your tank near the sunlight you will surely get cloudy water.Be sure not to overfeed your fish.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #3 
JennybugJennifer

It's a three gallon and it is by a window with a curtain in it because the live plants were dying. I make sure I don't over feed. He gets four pellets in the morning and evening :)
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Go through your live plants and throw/ cut away anything that is mushy, dying plants will also add ammonia and the extra nutrients will promote a baterial bloom. if its an algae bloom ( green water) having some healthy aquaroum plants in there will clear it up after a fee days.

I have jar that gets direct sun for about 3 hours a day next to the window. When I first removed some plants it got cloudy, but after a week when the plants absorbed all the excess nutrients and translate that into growth, the water is now crystal clear. It remains that way regardless of how much I feed/ overfeed my fish.

If you have a test kit you can test the water to see what might be contributing to the cloudiness
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #5 
birdielikestomatoes

4 pellets twice a day? I personally think that is overfeeding. As for the cloudiness I'm not sure what causes it but I also had trouble with cloudiness in my 5g for the first couple months. I just made sure that I did water changes every few days and made sure the fish were healthy. After a couple months of the ugly cloudiness it finally cleared up on its own and I haven't seen it come back. So the only advice I can give is keep up your water changes and wait.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote