Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Petco Bookshelf tank - filter advice please!

Ok, so I'm going to try to get the 6G bookshelf tank from Petco up and running this weekend, and I would like to have it cycled. This is the tank: http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...Aquarium-14978

My biggest question is the filter. Someone has already posted that they think the filter that comes with it is too strong. Any more personal experiences with it? The filter does hang over the back of the tank, which doesn't work with the place I want to put it, so it's not likely to stay longterm. SO, on with the questions...

I seem to recall having seen someone recommend something like these for bettas - are they good, and if so - what *other* than the item shown would I need to get to run it? If they aren't good, any suggestions on a filter that might work that does NOT hang off the back?

http://www.amazon.com/D-731-Aquarium..._petsupplies_2

http://www.amazon.com/Cylinder-Black..._petsupplies_3

Which leads to the next question...if I were to order one of these, could I get the tank running with the kit it came with and switch to one of these without too much fuss when it arrives?
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 
LittleWatty

I currently have the bookshelf tank with the filter it comes with. The flow is adjustable (I believe) by a valve in the intake tube. Plus, I have mine baffled with a large piece of aquarium sponge that spans the entire width of the outflow. I haven't put my betta in it yet, as mine is cycling, but there's not a lot of surface disruption, though my floating onion bulbs do float around the tank with the flow. If that gives you an idea of how strong it is. I don't have it on its lowest flow possible, but I don't have it at max either.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 
Shadyr

Well, my big issue is that the destination locale will require it to be snugged up to a wall - I can't have it sitting out multiple inches. If the filter is pretty slim and projects only an inch or so, I could probably work with it. (I haven't take it out of the box yet)
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
LittleWatty

Eh... its more like 3 inches. Its kind'a chunky in my opinion, but its the only filter I've ever owned, so I guess I wouldn't know if it was slim vs. chunky lol
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote