Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #31 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
No, take it out of the little plastic container it comes it, I think they package them like that because the traps grow horizontally outward and might get ruined during shipping.

As for pots, they like 6-8in deep pots so their roots have plenty or room to grow. For mine, I put some rocks at the bottom of the pot and then filled it with 1 part Peat Moss and 1 part Pearlite - the recommended soil.

Yes, they can only be water with rain or distilled water.
thank you very much Wolfie, i'll get the cover off today for the VFT. would most hardware stores carry the proper soil? i do know there are premixed soils but they do contain a fertiliser. the soil i have would've been perfect had it not contained plant food/fert. the water that i have purchased has been distilled and around 2ppm of any sort of minerals at max specs.

Last edited by nel3; 06-05-2012 at 01:45 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #32 
Wolfie305

I couldn't get my soil at the hardware stores. Had to go to a little nursery/pet food supply place to get mine.

Definitely make sure it doesn't have fertilizers and other chemicals in it, as it will kill the VFT D:
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #33 
nel3

thank youWolfie, i found 5L of prlite and 28L compressed spagnum at the hardwarestore. its the season the stores stock up on it. bit of overkill as 28L spganum moss is more than enough to fill a 4-6 inch pot. not sure if i should put the plant in a 4 or 6 inch pot as its in a 2 inch pot atm. i fed one trap some bloodworms, didnt find a live insect.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #34 
Wolfie305

Don't feed it too often, it usually does fine on its own. I think once they eat a certain amount of bugs the trap dies or something (which is okay, but yeah xD).
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #35 
Jupiter

This is helpful! I bought one myself like several months ago, and I'm still not all too sure what it needs besides the fact that I shouldn't be giving it tap water and that it should stay moist.

They're pretty great though, aren't they? Although tbh i don't generally have much interest in plants.

For example, I didn't know they produced flowers! But mine did a couple of weeks ago, I thought that was cool.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #36 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Don't feed it too often, it usually does fine on its own. I think once they eat a certain amount of bugs the trap dies or something (which is okay, but yeah xD).
thank you, i might feed it some BW once a month but i usuallu reserve the BW for the betta.