Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 
Tikibirds

Poor Guy

I decided to save someone from the evils of petco and I kinda knew which one I was going to get. I have had my eye on him for a while.
However by the time I got paid, he was in very bad shape and I wasn't even sure if he would make the ride home. I spotted the guy next to him which physically looked very similar but he was still alert and swimming around. The other one, I had to watch for a bit to even be able to tell if his gills were still moving.

Anyways, here is My Lucky Stars:

I have seen dark green a few times but I have NEVER seen it turn dark blue before, and in less then a minute! I have heard that a dark blue is about a 12 :firefurious:

He is currently in a container about the size of a shoebox - maybe about a gallon or a little less of water?, with some fake plants and one of those multicolred caves and a tetra 50 watt heater. Don't worry, it can barely heat up 1 gallon of water to 75.

He is doing rather well, swimming around, unclamped his fins (what's left of them) and eats like a pig.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 
Luimeril

geezus! poor boy! ;n; i wish him the best of luck. you should take those pics to the store and complain. >:I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 
trakehner

Oh how sad. Praying he gets better. If he does I'd love to see the after pics.
trakehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I thought about complaining while I was there but I honestly don't think it would do any good at the store level. They only opened in April here but I feel like most of the employees just don't care. The petco in Alaska, their employees were pretty clueless but they were always cleaning out the cages and fish tanks (bettas not included)...here, I have never seen them cleaning anything and trust me, you can tell. Plus I was pretty much turned off when I wanted a gold apple? snail because I have dark blue sand. Gold would stand out much better then a black one. The dog trainer guy scopped out this big black mystery snail and said it does not matter which one i get, they are all dumb snails that don't move. I was like THAT is not the point, I want the gold one for a reason. I ended up taking the black one and storming off. Some of the girls are a bit more..helpful...but in general, I won't talk to anyone in there.

Any ideas on how to find out who the area manager is without talking to their store manager?

Anyways, he is doing pretty well. I did a WC and moved him into a smaller ( I think) container for the time being. The other one was longer but it was kinda flimsy. This one is taller and a bit stronger. Plus since the heater is crappy, I think maybe it will heat up better? He will go into something better in a few days. He seems to be a bit more red today then he was 2 days ago.

Seriously, how hard is it for them to change the water every day or two? This guy obviously has not had a water change in a very long time, if ever. or at least put in a tiny drop or prime every now and then.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #5 
Luimeril

my local pet store changes the betta water every day, i think. it's always clean and clear, with only the occasional poo at the bottom. walmart, however.... 8I King Steve's cup was clean, but Remy.... there was black stuff, looked like dirt... all over teh bottom. so gross.

i'm glad your boy is doing better. try going to the website and file a complaint. a manager or someone higher should get in touch with you.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Yeah, walmart is pretty bad too, which kinda sucks because the walmart in fairbanks, Alaska got in beautiful bettas. I have no idea where they got them from but alot of them could easily rival the ones on AB.

I'll search petco's site when I get home from work.

He is a bit more active today
Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #7 
Ramble

Wow--that's a lot of green in that test tube...ouch. Fingers crossed that your new fella does well.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

He is doing remarkably well
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #9 
Ramble

Yay!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 
Karebear13

Wow people are pathetic that is so sad poor little guy! Hope he recovers Thanks Tikibird for saving him!

Post pics!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote