Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 
wulfie

marina i25 filter slimy and bulging?

anyone have any experience with these filters? I checked mine on my last partial water change I noticed that the filter was flooding and pouring out of the top, so I removed the filter pad and noticed that it was bulging and is covered in all I can describe as slime. Swishing it around in some of the old tank water did nothing, water wouldn't even penetrate this slime. So, I put a new filter pad in, I know, I just killed what little bit of a cycle I had started, but is this normal for a filter pad? Any help would be greatly appreciated
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

what media are you using?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #3 
wulfie

I'm using the media that came with the filter, it's supposed to be a 3-stage filter, I know it does have charcoal in the middle section of the media
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

I'm afraid you won't be able to cycle anything with a carbon filter.
I use this: Cut it to size/fasten it to the "frame" your original media comes with.
http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Ma...:referralID=NA

best thing? you never have to replace it unless it starts tearing apart. Just give it a good ole swish in old tank water when doing water changes.
How big is your tank?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #5 
wulfie

it's a aqueon betta mini bow 2.5 gallon
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #6 
wulfie

and now I'm totally confused, why has NOBODY said that you can't cycle a tank with a carbon filter? it seems that ALL the internal filters have carbon, so how is everyone cycling their tanks? I can kinda understand that the carbon is cleaning up the ammonia, no ammonia no nitrate, no nitrate no nitrite, but why do all the internal filters come with carbon then?

Last edited by wulfie; 06-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #7 
FishyFishy89

Nearly all filters come with carbon. Interal or external. Carbon is also a waste of money because in fact it only lasts 24-48 hours. But companies claim it lasts a week-a month.
Everyone that I see cycling their tanks have the following
Live aquatic plants
Proper lighting
Sponge /or air filter
And atleast 1 fish

You can cycle with just your fish and a sponge/or air filter. But when the ammonia comes. You're going to be struggling to keep your fish alive and to remove the ammonia.
Verus having a live aquatic plant and proper lighting (as well as fert) the plant will use the ammonia and such thus helping your cycle and reducing your stress.

Many carbon filters can be converted to sponge filters. Is the carbon inside your media?(the piece you buy and insert every week or month)

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 06-11-2012 at 10:11 AM.