Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #41 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

She decided not to back on the first page though. :p
So, yes, she did take some advice, not throw everything we said as nonsense.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #42 
Wolfie305

Yeah. I dunno, I think she just could have handled the advice better. No one was being mean, just helpful :3
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #43 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleneEchols View Post
I am fully able to provide the needed maintenance.
Quote:
I am fully capable of taking care of these fish but thank you for the input.
Quote:
I appreciate your suggestions but I know what I am getting myself into and am fully capable of accommodating as I've said.
Quote:
AS I HAVE SAID; I know what I am getting myself into. I'm not going to argue the point.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #44 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maybe you guys shouldn't have been so repetitive back? She never once said you guys are wrong, she never trashed your advice, she "appreciated" your suggestions and thanked you for your input, you kept pushing her, hence the last message being more forceful.
There's nothing wrong with her current stocking plan.
Now let's just please get over this and help the OP out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #45 
Yaoilover12397

I would say there is a great differnce though in experience between OP and LBF as well as she's planning ten ghost shrimp, which like to eat fish if they can get to it, for someone who seems from what they've said to be new to this they're better off with a less intensive project or getting a bigger tank to help make sure the fish get what they need.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #46 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ghost shrimp eating a betta? Maybe fins yes, which females lack, maybe a dead betta. I have yet to hear of a shrimp overpowering and eating a betta.
LBF herself said that this will work out better than a smaller amount of females, are you denying her experience?
Seriously guys, drop it. You're epicly failing at helping the OP or changing her plans. You've been asked by her nicely to stop criticizing several times, you tried your best and were polite about it. Yes disregarding information can lead to disaster but LBF says it'll be fine, as do I, though my opinion probably matters less.

Even if this fails, you can't blame the OP. Each sorority is a ticking time bomb many end badly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #47 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Just because it has worked for LBF (someone very experienced) doesn't mean it's going to work for a person new to sororities.

What I don't understand is when people come with a question or they are asking for advice and when they get advice they disregard it . . .
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #48 
kfryman

I see she said she won't be coming back... So let's just drop it and not post here any more, she got what she wanted even if she didn't want to here what we said. Nothing else to do.

No more!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #49 
LittleBettaFish

When I was new to sororities I had 5 females in a 6 gallon tank, which is basically the same sort of stocking as 8 females in a 10 gallon excluding the ghost shrimp.

I didn't cycle that tank but instead planted heavily with milfoil and did 25% water changes every second day for the first couple of weeks.

I have only ever had four instances out of the three sororities and 30-40 odd females in them, where a fish has not been compatible with sorority life. One was due to aggression, one was due to blindness, and the other two just did not like living in that kind of environment.

These females have come from AB, pet stores and breeders. Some are young, some are mature. I don't bother floating newcomers or rearranging territories. I just dump them in and let them sort it out amongst themselves.

Setting up a sorority was definitely not the doom and gloom I was expecting from the majority of posts on here. Mainly I think the problems are that people go in either unprepared or unfamiliar with displays of aggression amongst bettas, or they are so convinced that their sorority is going to implode they yank females and fiddle so much they stress everyone out.

Bettas fight. Bettas will always fight, but your set-up will determine the severity of their fights. A well-planted sorority will let the losing fish get away, and this is so important in an enclosed area where there is no room for a proper escape.

Personally I think it is better to overstock than understock a sorority. It's why people with cichlids usually have overstocked tanks. It spreads out aggression and stops the targeting of individual fish. The trick to a successful sorority in my experience has been overstocking, excellent water quality and lots of food.

You will always get females that are bullies or victims, but by culling them out of your sorority at the start, you end up with a group of females able to live together at least relatively peacefully.

I would not do the ghost shrimp as I mentioned before, or only have a couple in there if you absolutely can't do without. However, 8 females in a 10 gallon is manageable if you are willing to put in the work. Also, just because someone is new to the forum doesn't mean they were new to fishkeeping in general. When I joined, I still knew more than some members who had hundreds of posts. Post count does not make someone an expert on all things bettas.

Edit - I would say it's likely the OP is still lurking and reading. Besides, the information in this thread could be valuable to other members and guests.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 06-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #50 
kfryman

Littlebettafish with everyone saying six maximum I didn't even know! We really need more people to stop following everyone else's word, even I am guilty.

We need a guide to a proper sorority though and have great sorority tanks, as in densely planted and not good sororities, as well as tips and keys to success and what not to do. I think it would really help us out.

I do think that 8 in a 10 gallon is a lot, but I try to understock a bit, I would like to add at least two females to my sorority. Ghost shrimp are good if there is good water as they can be picky with water quality. Skip shrimp in a tank that will have more ammonia like an overstocked sorority.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote