Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #11 
Silverfang

I think you would be safe weaning him back to 1tsp/gal for the remaining four days. Hopefully this will be all that's needed to kick the fuzzies in the butt!

I understand how excited you are, my girl lost the biggest chunk of her remaining fuzzies over the weekend... and she'd be fuzz free, if not for a jumping incident. Hope he continues to heal up!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 
sholee

aww your poor fish! ive never seen my betta jump since I've bought it, im still paranoid he'll jump out one day. Anyways, I woke up this morning and gosh darn it! i see little white fuzz strings hanging from his fin! they're just thread like but still.. ARGH... i'm going to do 1 teaspoon of salt/gal tonight during his water change. I can't wait for him to heal up!
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholee View Post
aww your poor fish! ive never seen my betta jump since I've bought it, im still paranoid he'll jump out one day. Anyways, I woke up this morning and gosh darn it! i see little white fuzz strings hanging from his fin! they're just thread like but still.. ARGH... i'm going to do 1 teaspoon of salt/gal tonight during his water change. I can't wait for him to heal up!
are you using stress coat? if its not fuzz balls its just excess slime coat
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #14 
sholee

nope, im not using stress coat, should i be using that? I'm just using regular water conditioner.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

it should be fine, Aq salt does pretty much the same thing :/ You wouldn't happento have some IAL in hand would you?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #16 
Aus

You can leave him there for up to ten days.

BUT. This is exactly how my fish Sid's columnaris started. The fuzzies actually fell off like that with or without salt.. they came and went and came and went.. I was convinced he was cured for a few weeks, then they came back badly, he got super aggressive fin rot overnight and went downhill from there.

Not saying this -will- happen to your fish.. but if his fins start fraying badly after this salt treatment, get him medication for columnaris. It doesn't always show as white fuzz on skin or fins. In Sid's case it became fin rot that wouldn't cure and then cottonmouth disease. He was sickly when I got him, though.. if your betta is healthy to begin with, he might not progress to that state.

The thing about that disease is that it thrives in high temps... so keeping the temp above 74 or so is encouraging it to grow.. (sorry, I see you do have cooler temps - this is a good thing right now.. when he recovers fully and stays healthy, think about getting him a bigger tank & heater.. being cold = lower immune system.. )

Not trying to panic you - just see how he goes, he will probably be okay. But to be safe, do some research on columnaris treatment and perhaps make sure you can get the right medication for it easily, if your fish has a/ any recurrence of these fuzzies after the salt treatment or b/ sudden, hard to shift fin rot, mouth hanging open all the time like something's stuck in, white fuzz on his head or body.

It's an aggressive condition and treatment needs to be prompt to work, so it's best to be prepared. I learned that the hard way. :\

ETA: It isn't slime coat if it's taking portions of fin off with it...

Last edited by Aus; 06-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #17 
sholee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
it should be fine, Aq salt does pretty much the same thing :/ You wouldn't happento have some IAL in hand would you?
Ahh what is IAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
You can leave him there for up to ten days.

BUT. This is exactly how my fish Sid's columnaris started. The fuzzies actually fell off like that with or without salt.. they came and went and came and went.. I was convinced he was cured for a few weeks, then they came back badly, he got super aggressive fin rot overnight and went downhill from there.

Not saying this -will- happen to your fish.. but if his fins start fraying badly after this salt treatment, get him medication for columnaris. It doesn't always show as white fuzz on skin or fins. In Sid's case it became fin rot that wouldn't cure and then cottonmouth disease. He was sickly when I got him, though.. if your betta is healthy to begin with, he might not progress to that state.

The thing about that disease is that it thrives in high temps... so keeping the temp above 74 or so is encouraging it to grow.. if those fuzzies come back at all - drop your temp a bit and start thinking about stronger medication.

Not trying to panic you - just see how he goes, he will probably be okay. But to be safe, do some research on columnaris treatment and perhaps make sure you can get the right medication for it easily, if your fish has a/ any recurrence of these fuzzies after the salt treatment or b/ sudden, hard to shift fin rot, mouth hanging open all the time like something's stuck in, white fuzz on his head or body.

It's an aggressive condition and treatment needs to be prompt to work, so it's best to be prepared. I learned that the hard way. :\

ETA: It isn't slime coat if it's taking portions of fin off with it...
Well I noticed the fuzz when it was still tiny and i thought maybe they'll go away on its own but the white fuzz just kept growing and i got super worried hence this topic. I got my betta in Dec of 2011 and he's always been very healthy and active. I've always done water changes 2x a week, 50% on wednesday and 100% on sundays so the evil white fuzz really caught me off guard. I have no idea what went wrong but I'm assuming it might be because he was tail biting last month and his fins got infected?

Oh man I'm really hoping my betta will be okay after this! Your post sounds crazy! I'm even cycling a new 5.5g home for my betta right now, it'll be a waste if he just keeps getting sick :'(

So even after the salt treatment, i should keep the temperature at 74-75 degrees? Will this make him lethargic?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

Indian Almond leaf :D
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #19 
Aus

Quote:
I've always done water changes 2x a week, 50% on wednesday and 100% on sundays
.. we have the same water change schedule

Quote:
I have no idea what went wrong but I'm assuming it might be because he was tail biting last month and his fins got infected?
Very probably it's a mild fungal outbreak only. If you've added any new live plants, handled other fish, put in a 2nd hand decoration..then perhaps be a bit vigilant. If not, then .. assume the best, unless he doesn't heal with salt.

Quote:
Oh man I'm really hoping my betta will be okay after this! Your post sounds crazy!
For now please do assume it's a simple fungal infection that may be cured with salt. But be aware that it might be a sign of something worse, too, though it probably isn't.

Here's a great article by RandomWiktor on the disease and treatment: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=917

Sid didn't have the saddleback or skin lesions. He had it internally, and in his mouth which was swollen and full of gunk. But before that, his fins kept disappearing in fuzzy chunks (dropping off..) until they looked awful.. and he was super lethargic.

Quote:
So even after the salt treatment, i should keep the temperature at 74-75 degrees? Will this make him lethargic?
Maybe a day or so after. Watch his fins. If there's no more fuzzies or missing chunks, slowly warm him up. If they return in a few days to a week and he's still losing fuzzy chunks of fin and is very lethargic even in warm water, slowly turn it back down again and treat him with some appropriate antibiotics.

I hate to sound like a panic merchant, but if I'd treated Sid sooner when it became clear that his fuzzies were not responding to salt, he might have survived.

Last edited by Aus; 06-11-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #20 
sholee

Heres an update on my betta, it's Day 8 of his salt treatment, so 2 more days left and he's looking great! No more white fuzzies, he's being active again and eating like a pig. I'm hoping this is good news and he wont relapse or have anything worse after I get him off of the salt treatment.

my betta and I thank you guys for all your help!