Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #11 
lyolya

i took some more pictures. i circled the area under the head where sand granules attached to the white strings i was talking about. i dont remember her having those there, usually it's one or two single strings on top of the head, but today she has quite a few detaching.
i'm puzzled.. :/ she's definitely lively, she just jumped out of the water at least half an inch to grab a pellet out of my fingers.
Attached Images

lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 
iElBeau

I can't really tell what it is by the pictures, but I know my fish had white fuzzy growths on his fins for a while, ad althought battalion + Pima fix together made it a little better, it returned frequently, especially as his water dirtied. I'd suggest cleaning the tank with 100% water changes once a week and 50% twice a week for at least two or three weeks and see if that makes a difference. The only thing that permanently kept it off of him was keeping his water in pristine conditions. If that doesn't help, then perhaps the others are right and it's simply age. Good luck!

Edit: BettaFix and PimaFix ** man autocorrect sucks
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #13 
iElBeau

Oh also raising the temperature to between 80-85 degrees will help eliminate any fungus or illness :)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Raising the temperature helps a fungus thrive.. Keep the temperature the same during fungal problems.
This really isn't looking like a problem to me, sand can stick to their slime coats, the slime coat is doing it's job keeping the fish safe by removing irritations. I can't imagine this being a problem. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #15 
Aus

Out of curiosity - what's your PH?

Has anything been added to the tank which could raise ph? Any other changes you think of that may have happened while you were away? Change of water conditioner brand?

High ph can cause the slimecoat to turn a funny colour and shed a bit. So can salt.. so can some medications.

If your fish isn't distressed or itchy, then I doubt it's any of the usual nasties that affect skin colour.. warm, clean water without salt or medication, changed regularly might help.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #16 
lyolya

i don't have the means to test PH at home, but my water is pretty alkaline, around 7.9, 8. there really isn't anything new that would raise it. I have sand (not coral), driftwood, one chunk of lava rock, live plants, silk plants, and a ceramic pot/vase. and all those items but sand have been in my other aquarium and i didn't have any water problems.

what else could be off.. well, my mom cultured a random snail population and dumped the little buggers in betta tank. so there were a Lot when i came back. but with regular cleaning i didnt bother to save the ones that latched on decorations and so now i only fave a few.

also, i think my fish might have burned itself on the heater a few times in the past months because she would start zipping suddenly, but she loves being around the heater otherwise. i guess a few times she just got too close to it. haven't seen that happening in the past month or so though.

aaand.. i might be using a little more Prime than i should, but its really hard to measure out the right amount when a tiny cupful is enough for 50 gal. but i really doubt i'm putting more than 5x the amount advised.

other than that.. can't think of anything else at the moment
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #17 
iElBeau

Over conditioning your water might contribute to a loss of slime coat... idk about Prime though as I've never used it. :/