Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

Plant Questions

Okay, So far I have a Naturally planted tank 2.5 gal going.

I have some questions on some smaller tanks That I wanted to convert to natural plants but I have no light hoods for them. Making a NPT as far as I know, pretty impossible, as those need good 6500k light.

So I have, a 2 gal drum bowl, a 1 gal and a 1.75 gal housing one betta each. (two girls and one boy in the 1.75)

Questions:

1) Is it really impossible to cycle such small tanks? I have heard such conflicting opinions I am not sure

2) Would a Naturally planted tank be possible? Remember I have no hoods to put lights in, Unless I can find some lamps to put over these tanks, which I do not really want to do.

3) Is it worth trying or should I just go and buy a 10 gal, divide it 3 ways and plant THAT tank?

I really would like to keep the small low tech setups I currently have, But in the interest of Quality of life I would make it work

Also I would be afraid of housing two females and one male in a divided tank, as I have heard that is stressfull on the fish. Is that true? Or would that be possible?

Right now the prospects are in their own homes, get adequate water changes and love life. However, since I have a NPT, And another tank with all live plants, I would like for all my tanks to be set up this way. So I wanted to ask about it before attempting it as I don't want a mess on my hands.

4) Any suggestions???? What plants would I be able to do this with? Thanks!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I keep 1gal soil based NPT without any filters or overhead lights that I keep both shrimp and Betta in.......However, I keep them so that they receive natural sunlight from an East window-I do have to supplement the light or photoperiod in the winter months by placing a light strip and/or lamp with the proper color temp bulbs over them to complete the 10-12h/day PP. In the summer I don't have to do this since they get 12h/day PP naturally....

You do have to monitor the temp so that they don't over heat-but I have not had any problems-I don't place them in the window....More so that they just get the diffused light from the window-they sit on a table about 1 foot more or less from the East facing window....... South facing window would work too....

I rotate the 1gal containers weekly and I don't have any bad algae problems either....I do get some green spot on the glass-but nothing major....

Nitrogen cycle....its not that small filtered tanks can't cycle-its more that the cycle is not stable due to limited surface area for the BB to colonize.

With live plants that are actively growing even without a filter-you will have a silent cycle of sorts...but this can vary based on number, species and growth state of the plants in a properly stocked tank.

In the soil based tanks with active plant growth-once matured the soil is alive and will help keep the balance of sort to help prevent water quality issues.

Regardless-tanks are closed systems and nothing leaves the tank until we remove it....with that said.....live active growing plants can help even the closed system by recycling or using the byproducts within the tank.

Even filters-they just remove debris from the water column...out of sight out of mind.......its still in the tank being recirculated over and over until good bacteria break it down-but their byproducts is still in the tank...its a matter of good-vs-bad byproducts as well as what levels are tolerated by the livestock....That all important Balance.......

There is not a "one size fits all" answer...so many things can vary based on so many different variables......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

Okay so if i planned to turn my 2 gal bowl into a NPT with light from a south facing window. The sunlight is not direct but the bathroom stays well lit all day long. Esp here in south florida. With low light plants it would be worth a shot? What kind of water change schedule would you suggest? I am learning so much by the way thank you! I love the planted tank look its like nature in a box
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

Or would it be necessary for direct sunlight? I could place it facing a west window, would that be better or is the south facing window in my bathroom that gets indirect light okay?

I just don't want to buy lights for these tiny tanks. My only other option would be to buy a 10 gal and divide it for the two girls and one boy. I just don't know if that is safe?

Most people say that isn't a good idea because it stresses the bettas out, is this true?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I don't like to use divided tanks-but many of our members are successful keeping them in divided tanks.....

You really need some light for the plants...as well as at least 10h/day PP and you may need to supplement light with the change of seasons...In my area our days get shorter in the cooler months and too short of a PP for too long can trick the plants into thinking the season changes and either-die, go dormant or flower....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

Hmm. Okay then, So basically I NEED the light for a NPT.

I personally have had success with divided tanks, and I tried my luck with a sorority, it was fine, until these two girls got in there. They were okay for a few months, then just killed EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in the tank, minus 1 very small very scared albino corycatfish.

So I personally have to make sure these girls stay alone. Which would be good in a divided situation. Hmm I guess this is where I ask people for suggestions!