Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #31 
optimusprimesgurl

Oh I also forgot to say I hope your fish gets better. Best of luck. :) Oh...and my female is still acting...weird. She's zipping around, hiding and just hovers in one place with her fins moving fast.
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #32 
mandi85710

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimesgurl View Post
Oh I also forgot to say I hope your fish gets better. Best of luck. :) Oh...and my female is still acting...weird. She's zipping around, hiding and just hovers in one place with her fins moving fast.
She will act kind of off for a few days. She is trying to get back to normal after just giving birth. Since you are not sure how many she had exactly you never know she could of had a whole bunch and is just trying to get back to her old self. Mine do that sometimes just to do it. I think it is just a molly thing. Just in case though make sure you have done your partial water change and put some stress coat in the water. If needed since you have your 10G cycled put her in there for a rest and maybe that will help since you have the fry in the breeder net.

As far as when to move the fry move them when you are ready. Mine are born into my 10G and 20G so as long as you buy one of those sponges that goes over your filter you can see in my video or remember from me telling you so they don't get sucked up they will probably do better in the 10G.

I would suggest a bare bottom with some plants for them to hide and hang out. Also don't forget to do frequent partial water changes. They need their water changed a lot which is why if you have an extra tank it is better to separate them. It also lowers their stress levels b/c they don't see their mom out there wanting to eat them.

I just added 2 of my mollys in with the adults even thought they are only almost 2 weeks they are so big now they can go in there. They are too big to be eaten and too big to get sucked up in the filter so I decided to keep them. They are pearl mollies and those are not that common and my fish guy is going to pay me a lot more for their fry compared to my others so I decided to keep a male and female and then Leave the others to sell when they are 2 months. I just rescued 2 more platies today from my main also. I have so many hiding spots they are all over the place...lol.

Oh your food question. I would feed them at least 4 times a day if you can. No less than 3. The best way to do it is to use a toothpick and stick the tip in the water then shake it off. Dip it in the flakes and do a light tap so you don't have too much on there then stick the toothpick in the water and swish it a little to get all the flakes off. I feed mine now probably 6 times a day just that tiny amount. They have grown so much and I have over 80 fry so instead of feeding them more at one time I feed them more often and the same amount.

Since I can put my hand in the water and they will swim onto my hand and around it I like to do that at least once a day so that I make sure the smaller fry are getting food also and the bigger ones aren't taking everything. Since I have molly, platy, guppy and 1 balloon molly fry I have to be careful to make sure they all eat enough. Also if you want you can break off a piece of the Algae/Veggie wafers and throw it in there and they will go nuts. My platy really love them. They are way smaller and I think they love it more b/c of it being on the bottom. But only do a small piece b/c they will make a mess and since they won't eat it all within a day I usually take it out that night so that the filter clears out any mess it makes. But the molly's love it too.

So best bet is to either put your mom in the 10G for a day or 2 for some R&R or move your fry over so they can get the higher temp in their tank which they like it a little hotter than the main. I keep mine between 80F-82F. My main is at 76F-78F. But pretty much it is your decision when you want to move them. Make sure you get the sponge for the filter though or you will have no more fry b/c they will be sucked up into the filter. Also about 2 times a week do a partial water change on the fry tank they need it more often. Can't remember if I already said that or not...lol. There I go writing a long reply again...lol.

OK I am off. My fish is doing better so I am going to give her some brine shrimp and then I need to feed my fry and my live bearers then I need to also feed my BRP's. And also time for a partial on my 20G fry tank. I will talk to you soon. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I am so glad the fish are doing well.

Oh forgot to ask you. What are you feeding you fish that they are getting constipated all the time? That is not normal. I have never had a constipated fish in all my years of having them and yours seem to keep getting constipated. Not good to starve them if they are though. You need to give them a pea that has been boiled and then peel of the shell of it. That will make them go if they are. They do eat their own poo a lot so if you are basing it on what you see in the tank thats not a good way to do it. I know they are not like goldfish who poop like crazy all the time...lol. It seems never ending with them...lol. Try the pea though but don't not feed them b/c that will stress them out especially after the one just dropped her fry. I will talk to you soon!!!
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #33 
optimusprimesgurl

I'm glad that the way she is acting isn't unheard of. I have the sponge filter on there already lol. I made sure to get that as soon as I saw the babies. I have been feeding them twice a day so I will bump that up, maybe once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once before bed. I keep looking for fry but there have been none since the third one we found. I'm still checking periodically. I'm gonna test the water in the ten gallon to make sure I can put fish in it today and move the mom since I'm very worried about her.

My main concern is if I put the babies in there then they won't be able to handle so much water. Right now for example their breeder is half full of water (well 1 because is doesn't hang all the way down and 2 because I'm afraid it might be too much for them. Lol. I guess I just want them to be okay.

Right now the tank has a heater, the sponge filter and is bare bottom with a lot of plants. I did the gravel in the pantyhose thing and stuck it behind the filter cartridge. So hopefully that is giving off the beneficial bacteria. I used some of the main tank's water but not much. I've been adding stress coat to the main tank as well to help the momma.

Also going onto the topic of constipation well I've been feeding them some flakes based off of spirulina. I've also seen them going after the veggie wafers for my pleco. I might be feeding too much so maybe I'll work on that and I'll get the peas going. I've been caught up in the fry mostly lol. I gotta make sure they do alright of course. I have also based this off of it hanging from the anal vent. It happens periodically so I'm not sure if I'm diagnosing it wrong.

I'll be home pretty soon. I'm in the library after school lol and surprisingly they don't block this forum like they do with everything else that isn't even inappropriate. Idk lol. Anyways, thanks again for everything. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
She will act kind of off for a few days. She is trying to get back to normal after just giving birth. Since you are not sure how many she had exactly you never know she could of had a whole bunch and is just trying to get back to her old self. Mine do that sometimes just to do it. I think it is just a molly thing. Just in case though make sure you have done your partial water change and put some stress coat in the water. If needed since you have your 10G cycled put her in there for a rest and maybe that will help since you have the fry in the breeder net.

As far as when to move the fry move them when you are ready. Mine are born into my 10G and 20G so as long as you buy one of those sponges that goes over your filter you can see in my video or remember from me telling you so they don't get sucked up they will probably do better in the 10G.

I would suggest a bare bottom with some plants for them to hide and hang out. Also don't forget to do frequent partial water changes. They need their water changed a lot which is why if you have an extra tank it is better to separate them. It also lowers their stress levels b/c they don't see their mom out there wanting to eat them.

I just added 2 of my mollys in with the adults even thought they are only almost 2 weeks they are so big now they can go in there. They are too big to be eaten and too big to get sucked up in the filter so I decided to keep them. They are pearl mollies and those are not that common and my fish guy is going to pay me a lot more for their fry compared to my others so I decided to keep a male and female and then Leave the others to sell when they are 2 months. I just rescued 2 more platies today from my main also. I have so many hiding spots they are all over the place...lol.

Oh your food question. I would feed them at least 4 times a day if you can. No less than 3. The best way to do it is to use a toothpick and stick the tip in the water then shake it off. Dip it in the flakes and do a light tap so you don't have too much on there then stick the toothpick in the water and swish it a little to get all the flakes off. I feed mine now probably 6 times a day just that tiny amount. They have grown so much and I have over 80 fry so instead of feeding them more at one time I feed them more often and the same amount.

Since I can put my hand in the water and they will swim onto my hand and around it I like to do that at least once a day so that I make sure the smaller fry are getting food also and the bigger ones aren't taking everything. Since I have molly, platy, guppy and 1 balloon molly fry I have to be careful to make sure they all eat enough. Also if you want you can break off a piece of the Algae/Veggie wafers and throw it in there and they will go nuts. My platy really love them. They are way smaller and I think they love it more b/c of it being on the bottom. But only do a small piece b/c they will make a mess and since they won't eat it all within a day I usually take it out that night so that the filter clears out any mess it makes. But the molly's love it too.

So best bet is to either put your mom in the 10G for a day or 2 for some R&R or move your fry over so they can get the higher temp in their tank which they like it a little hotter than the main. I keep mine between 80F-82F. My main is at 76F-78F. But pretty much it is your decision when you want to move them. Make sure you get the sponge for the filter though or you will have no more fry b/c they will be sucked up into the filter. Also about 2 times a week do a partial water change on the fry tank they need it more often. Can't remember if I already said that or not...lol. There I go writing a long reply again...lol.

OK I am off. My fish is doing better so I am going to give her some brine shrimp and then I need to feed my fry and my live bearers then I need to also feed my BRP's. And also time for a partial on my 20G fry tank. I will talk to you soon. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I am so glad the fish are doing well.

Oh forgot to ask you. What are you feeding you fish that they are getting constipated all the time? That is not normal. I have never had a constipated fish in all my years of having them and yours seem to keep getting constipated. Not good to starve them if they are though. You need to give them a pea that has been boiled and then peel of the shell of it. That will make them go if they are. They do eat their own poo a lot so if you are basing it on what you see in the tank thats not a good way to do it. I know they are not like goldfish who poop like crazy all the time...lol. It seems never ending with them...lol. Try the pea though but don't not feed them b/c that will stress them out especially after the one just dropped her fry. I will talk to you soon!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #34 
mandi85710

You don't have to worry about it being too much water for the fry. The first time I had any I only had 6 between my molly and the one platy. They love all the extra room and swim around like crazy. It also makes them get exercise and grow better because they have to go get the food at the top unless they wait until it falls to the bottom.

My guppy is in my fry tank now in the breeder. She is only 21 days but looks like she is going to explode. With guppies they can drop anywhere between 20-40 days. Most still drop around 28 but since she is so big and has a hard time swimming I put her in the fry tank in my breeder. I have some pictures of her. If you have ever wanted to see a gravid spot hers is IMPOSSIBLE to miss...lol. So I am thinking she will drop sooner than later.Plus guppies can have up to 200 fry but normally it is between 40-60. I just found that out last night when I was looking around about should I move her yet or not.

She is in my 20G fry tank b/c she is so big I am pretty sure she is going to have a rather large drop. I will attach some pics for you to see her. I can't wait to see which of my boys are the father because they are both gorgeous.

Oh another thing you can do with your fry tank is only put about half a tank of water if you are worried about them. I haven't lost any yet with full tanks and the sponges on the filters though and keeping the water temp between 80F-82F so they will be ok in there. But if you are worried about them then don't move them yet. But you do need to have the net breeder they are in almost to the top with water because they need room to be able to swim a lot more as they start to develop from fry to junior fish. Plus they need room for exercise. So if you decide not to move them yet then at least get the water level in that pretty much to the top.

Also remember how I said that after a mom gives birth sometimes they die. That is normal and no one knows why but that could be the case with yours. So just take the best care of those fry so that you can keep her bloodline going. OK I have to run. Here are some pics of Big Mama guppy (my 6 year old niece named her). She is starting to square off compared to last night when I put her in the breeder so she will probably drop tonight or early in the morning. I will ttys!!!

Quote:
I'm glad that the way she is acting isn't unheard of. I have the sponge filter on there already lol. I made sure to get that as soon as I saw the babies. I have been feeding them twice a day so I will bump that up, maybe once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once before bed. I keep looking for fry but there have been none since the third one we found. I'm still checking periodically. I'm gonna test the water in the ten gallon to make sure I can put fish in it today and move the mom since I'm very worried about her.

My main concern is if I put the babies in there then they won't be able to handle so much water. Right now for example their breeder is half full of water (well 1 because is doesn't hang all the way down and 2 because I'm afraid it might be too much for them. Lol. I guess I just want them to be okay.

Right now the tank has a heater, the sponge filter and is bare bottom with a lot of plants. I did the gravel in the pantyhose thing and stuck it behind the filter cartridge. So hopefully that is giving off the beneficial bacteria. I used some of the main tank's water but not much. I've been adding stress coat to the main tank as well to help the momma.

Also going onto the topic of constipation well I've been feeding them some flakes based off of spirulina. I've also seen them going after the veggie wafers for my pleco. I might be feeding too much so maybe I'll work on that and I'll get the peas going. I've been caught up in the fry mostly lol. I gotta make sure they do alright of course. I have also based this off of it hanging from the anal vent. It happens periodically so I'm not sure if I'm diagnosing it wrong.

I'll be home pretty soon. I'm in the library after school lol and surprisingly they don't block this forum like they do with everything else that isn't even inappropriate. Idk lol. Anyways, thanks again for everything. :)
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #35 
optimusprimesgurl

Thanks a bunch for all the information. I put them in the 10 gallon and they are mostly at the bottom. I hope that's normal. One of the fishies is having a hard time swimming too, and it's already kinda odd, they are forming like a rank of dominance lol. The first one, is the biggest and is also the strongest. Then second in command is the Runt, I just call he/she that lol because he was the last one I found. And Blackiee (has a black mark on his/her lil' tail) is the one having a hard time. I moved the momma back to the main tank and I also was able to purchase one more molly. I thought it was a he because the anal fin was closed together like the male's have but once I got her in my main tank I see the fin has opened like a fan...I hope I didn't make a big mistake or anything...I have those four mollies so far and my little bristlenose...but I have a hunch that I have felt before with my goldfish right before they pass. I'm just kinda confused now. What is the maximum number of mollies I can have in there (it's double filtered) I hope I didn't screw up...ugh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
You don't have to worry about it being too much water for the fry. The first time I had any I only had 6 between my molly and the one platy. They love all the extra room and swim around like crazy. It also makes them get exercise and grow better because they have to go get the food at the top unless they wait until it falls to the bottom.

My guppy is in my fry tank now in the breeder. She is only 21 days but looks like she is going to explode. With guppies they can drop anywhere between 20-40 days. Most still drop around 28 but since she is so big and has a hard time swimming I put her in the fry tank in my breeder. I have some pictures of her. If you have ever wanted to see a gravid spot hers is IMPOSSIBLE to miss...lol. So I am thinking she will drop sooner than later.Plus guppies can have up to 200 fry but normally it is between 40-60. I just found that out last night when I was looking around about should I move her yet or not.

She is in my 20G fry tank b/c she is so big I am pretty sure she is going to have a rather large drop. I will attach some pics for you to see her. I can't wait to see which of my boys are the father because they are both gorgeous.

Oh another thing you can do with your fry tank is only put about half a tank of water if you are worried about them. I haven't lost any yet with full tanks and the sponges on the filters though and keeping the water temp between 80F-82F so they will be ok in there. But if you are worried about them then don't move them yet. But you do need to have the net breeder they are in almost to the top with water because they need room to be able to swim a lot more as they start to develop from fry to junior fish. Plus they need room for exercise. So if you decide not to move them yet then at least get the water level in that pretty much to the top.

Also remember how I said that after a mom gives birth sometimes they die. That is normal and no one knows why but that could be the case with yours. So just take the best care of those fry so that you can keep her bloodline going. OK I have to run. Here are some pics of Big Mama guppy (my 6 year old niece named her). She is starting to square off compared to last night when I put her in the breeder so she will probably drop tonight or early in the morning. I will ttys!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #36 
optimusprimesgurl

Oh and...just checked on the little ones. Only one is swimming. The others are on the bottom curled up...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #37 
mandi85710

Curled up like how? Are they still moving or doing what I call the belly slide? Most likely they are just taking a little longer to get their fins going. You would say feet if it were a person if that makes more sense. I still have some belly sliders but they swim when you are not around most likely. They should be ok. As far as another female you are now 1 male to 3 females right? If that is right it is actually good because the male will be more likely to mate with less then so you won't have so many babies. So that is a good thing if you don't want to breed them.

My guppy had her babies and she had 110 of them. No wonder she got too fat to swim. I am going to have to get a 6th tank now b/c once they start growing to where they are oh I say close to 2 months they will over run my tank. So for now any new fry born will have to hide in the main tank and if they make it they do and if not then they don't. I have no where to put them all.

I have seen quite a few fry in my main though there are at least 15 in there. I caught the ones when I first noticed them and saved like 4 but now they have to keep on hiding. There are plenty of places for them to hide which is why they are still around. I hate not rescuing but I just don't know what to do with them with my other tanks full. OK I am off. I have the flu pretty bad which is why I haven't been on lately. Hopefully it goes away soon because I feel like crap. PM me whenever you want and I will try and get back on at least once daily. TTYS

Quote:
Oh and...just checked on the little ones. Only one is swimming. The others are on the bottom curled up...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #38 
fishlover35

Talking balloon belly molly giving birth soon?

i got a female balloon belly molly andshe looked pretty big when i got her and its been 8 days since i got her. How much longer till she givesbirth? im so excited.
fishlover35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #39 
fishlover35

balloon belly mollly birth?

i got a balloon bellly molly 9 days ago and she was quite pregnant. any idea how many days left till she gives birth?https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...6NNkR111EWpYXA THANKS!!!!
fishlover35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, first time, mollies