Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #1 
coder14

Does anyone breed wilds?

Just wondering if anyone on here bred any cool wild types. I have been dabbling alot into the mouthbrooders and want to expand my horizons into the wild bubble nesters now.
coder14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Albi's? Macs? Enisae? I didn't know you could get low pH water in Utah. I guess you make it. You probably already know about the Wet Spot in Seattle.

You looking for Smarigdina, Imbellis, Mahachai?

LittleBettaFish from Australia is an acknowledged forum expert on wilds.

I run high pH with liquid concrete hardness, but I love the look and like to follow along.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #3 
coder14

I get pretty into my water chemistry. I start with all RO water and use Equilibrium reconstitute for a light base level GH and acid buffer. I run tanks from 8.0 to 5.5 ph. Not all wild bettas are soft acidic. Simplex prefer a bit alkaline. Ocellatas prefer soft water but are so hardy they will live in anything. I have macrostoma, ocellata, simplex, channoides and albimarginata. I have fry right now from my ocellatas, albimarginatas and simplex. Lots of ocellata fry if anyone reading is interested.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #4 
coder14

Oh, and a little more exotic bubble nesters. Looking for Uberis, Brownrum, coccina. Although I would probably take others if they just fell in my lap.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I breed brownorum, rutilans, tussyae and have had albimarginata and channoides fry in the past. I have also owned persephone, coccina and uberis although I no longer have these species unfortunately.

The coccina complex bettas really need soft, acidic water to thrive in unlike most of the larger guys (I've had unimaculata and have ideii currently). In all my wild tanks I use a sand substrate with peat moss over the top of this, an IAL litter (I basically let this decay in the tank) and lots of java moss to hide in.

If you have the right conditions they are easy to breed. My brownorum spawn weekly and my rutilans have six juveniles and one sub-adult that practically raised themselves (my tanks are teeming with infusoria and other micro-organisms).

Interestingly enough, none of my bubblenesters nest. They mouthbrood for a couple of days instead and then spit out their newborn fry. None of my coccina complex bettas have eaten their fry although they will if stressed out early on.

To get mine to spawn I simply stuff to the gills with live blackworms, do a cool water change and let the pair do their business.

I love my wilds, and in full colour, the coccina complex has some of the most beautiful species of fish I've ever seen in real life and online. It isn't by chance they are called clarets.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Splendens, imbellis, and smaragdina are pretty much the same species. Pretty easy to house from what I've heard. Mahachai I've heard lean into a brackish type of fish and are more difficult to keep and raise.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Splendens, imbellis, and smaragdina are pretty much the same species. Pretty easy to house from what I've heard. Mahachai I've heard lean into a brackish type of fish and are more difficult to keep and raise.
Agreed! They are most difficult to breed and they rely on their habitat and require minimum lighting

Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote