Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #1 
iElBeau

Petsmart food

Hey, wow I make a lot of threads eh? Sorry, this is a totally different strain...

So I'm looking at getting more foods for my fish (currently he has two types of pellets - one that is too large for him to eat so I have to soak and chop it for him - and freeze dried blood worms)

I'm looking at petsmart and a) The betta food section isn't working on my comp. and b) I don't know the difference between all these!

So. I'm looking for SOMETHING with brine shrimp for my fish. Of all the following foods, which would you suggest?
Is there any non-brine shrimp foods you would suggest too?

Anyways. This is a link to the petsmart fish foods. Take a look through please, and let me know what you think! :) I may buy a brine shrimp + something else, so really, all help and opinions is appreciated.

EDIT: Also, if you make a suggestion for a gel or frozen something rather, can you include feeding instructions please?
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 
Tigress

I don't like using pellets for my bettas. I actually feed mine blood worms. The pack of bloodworms is frozen. You pop out a cube of frozen bloodworms and put it in a tiny cup. I feed my bettas 2 bloodworms a day. The packet of bloodworms stay frozen. They are divided in sections (like a pill packet for human medication - to give you a visual). The cup of thawed bloodworms stay in the fridge.

I don't like the betta pellets. I want to give my bettas the best I can give them.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Blood worms is actually not a complete diet and they will have nutrient deficiencies from just worms. It's like if you ate nothing but bananas- lots of potassium, but that's not the only thing you need.
Are you looking into a frozen food or pellet? Generally you want to look for ingredients such as "whole fish meal" or "whole shrimp meal" whole being the vital word, as this means whole, not just scraps that may be lacking in nutrition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

I agree, Brine shrimp is more a snak or treat. I recommend tetra min tropical crisps. They are very nourishing, and my fish LOVE them!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

As Olympia said, Bloodworms are not for a Complete Diet. Pellets and Flakes are usually more of the Staple Part of the Diet. Frozen are more Nutritional, ( Depending on the Ingredients of the Pellets ) because they are the same thing as Live, except Lesser Risk of Parasites and already Dead. However, Pellets are more easier to feed. Just put 3-4 in, and your done. I use Tetramin Mini Betta Pellets. Not the Best Brand but my Betta seems fine. Go for the Foods with the "Whole Fish Meal", or "Whole Shrimp Meal". Not Whole Wheat. The actual Key of a Great Diet is a Variety of Foods. Live to Pellets... Frozen to Flakes...
The Idea for the Variety is that if 1 type of Food is missing something, the other ones may have the Ingredient needed. You also wouldn't eat the same thing everyday would you? I wouldn't. The Best Brands for Pellets are Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Hikari. The Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets seem to be the only one on the Site.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 
iElBeau

I am not looking for any one food to feed him all the time! Lol

I'm looking for various foods. To change it up. You're supposed to feed a variety are you not? I just said I feed him two types of pellets and freeze dried blood worms, but I'm looking to add brine shrimp in some form, and another food.

Hence the link. I'm willing to buy pretty much anything you can recommend with a brand name, frozen, freeze dried, gel. I just don't know how to feed some of these and also requested feeding instructions, like for a brine shrimp gel.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

From what Petsmart has to offer, I would go with the Omega One pellets. The pellets are rather large, and I only feed 1-2 pellets per feeding. I still like New Life Spectrum best. I've never made gel food for bettas, but I can tell you that from making it for goldfish, you'd probably need a scalpel to cut pieces small enough. Fish mouths are a lot smaller than we tend to think they are.

If you want brine shrimp, just get frozen brine shrimp.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 06-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #8 
iElBeau

Thank you!

How do you serve frozen brine shrimp? And which brand would I get? :/ I'm a little confused by foods that dont come in a little "feed two at a time" bottle/container lol
Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Ditto to Omega One
1 of the best betta pellets
I also give Spike Hikari bio Pure Brine Shrimp once a week. He gets just a corner of it.
If you find Hikari pellets grab them too. I use the mini and feed Spike 4.

For the frozen food. Just cut a lil corner off/put it in a cup of conditioned water. Doesn't take long to thaw. and then pour right into the tank/watch your fishy hunt everything down.
Personally, don't read the containers. Their full of bull and made so you use more so you have to buy more.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
I don't like using pellets for my bettas. I actually feed mine blood worms. The pack of bloodworms is frozen. You pop out a cube of frozen bloodworms and put it in a tiny cup. I feed my bettas 2 bloodworms a day. The packet of bloodworms stay frozen. They are divided in sections (like a pill packet for human medication - to give you a visual). The cup of thawed bloodworms stay in the fridge.

I don't like the betta pellets. I want to give my bettas the best I can give them.

That is not a healthy diet. The best you can give them is nutritional food like Omega One pellets.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote