Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #1 
FateError

Heater for a 3 gal tank.

Ok, so now I've finally have more money besides paying for bills. I can get my betta a heater. Tho he swims around and stuff. But sometimes I see him just laying in the corner. Sometimes doing some zigzag dance o.O then move to other corner and stay there. sometimes I see him just darting around. I hope it's not the cold water temp or something. But I just want it to stay the same temp that's good for him. So what's a good cheap heater for a 3 gal tank. Thanks guys!
FateError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 
Laki

Cheap? For a 3 gal you can pick up a cheap heater from WalMart (they have submersibles for less than 20$ I think they're "tetra" brand) and Petsmart has a 10w Aqueon non-adjustable heater labelled for the mini-bows for 16$. This one has been reliable for me for months.
The weird behaviors might be the temp. I don't know. Does he eat and poop fine?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3 
lelei

We are using the Tetra 2-10 for our 3 gal tank..and temp has remained 78°since I put it in there it is not adjustable..but it was arond 14$at Petco..not sure what the wattage is~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #4 
FateError

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Cheap? For a 3 gal you can pick up a cheap heater from WalMart (they have submersibles for less than 20$ I think they're "tetra" brand) and Petsmart has a 10w Aqueon non-adjustable heater labelled for the mini-bows for 16$. This one has been reliable for me for months.
The weird behaviors might be the temp. I don't know. Does he eat and poop fine?
from what I've seen, he eats and poop just fine. When i open the lid to my kritter keeper tank, he instantly swims to the top corner and where I've been feeding him. I like to drop his pellets everywhere and have him swim and get the food. He loves jumping when I hover frozen bloodworms above him haha. What temp does your heater stay at?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #5 
Laki

Mine is the Aqueon 10w non adjustable. It keeps my kk (about 2-2.5g) at a constant 79F. Mom's tetra 2-10 says on the box it's a 100w but I don't believe it and it keep her 1g tank constant at 78F.
Get the heater and watch for any changes - I don't think the spazz movements are anything to worry about now. As long as he doesn't twitch when the water is warm.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 
FateError

Ok, thanks! I'll check Petco out sometime this week.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 
glitchsniffer

I had a Aqueon 10w for my 2.5g minibow and it kept my water at a nice and toasty 82-86 degrees. I finally broke down and ordered a Hydor Theo 25w heater that is adjustable. I have the theo set at 74 deg and it keeps the tank at exactly 80 deg. The 10w heater may be fine in a 3g but in my 2.5 which isn't much smaller was not a good thing. The theo 25w is only 16.99 from Doctors Foster and Smith online so maybe that's a good option for you.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote