Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #11 
AngesRadieux

lol. My new fish did the same thing when I move him from his cup to his tank. He explored just about every inch of it. Unfortunately, that means he found the ghost shrimp I had added. I quickly discovered that the big meanie won't tolerate any friends when I found him staring at the dead shrimp like "if it moves again, I'll kill it".

Very pretty fish! I like the name Fred. Though, if he was mine he'd probably be named after a composer. xD The decorations are really cute, too. Good luck with Fred. I'm sure you've made him a very happy fish.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #12 
Anitax3x

lol maybe I'm mean , I tend to use ghost shrimp as live food for my bettas.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Awww so happy for Fred and I too like his name it was my dads name. Welcome to the forum and best wishes for you and Fred !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 
Ramble

Hey, Wink...if the filter intake is too strong, you should be able to tie or rubber band some sponge filter to the tube. It slows down the current and keeps the little guys from being sucked in.
Fred certainly does look happy in his new home!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #15 
mjoy79

I'm so happy for you and for Fred. Your post made me happy to read. Thanks :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 
AngesRadieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
lol maybe I'm mean , I tend to use ghost shrimp as live food for my bettas.
My big bully didn't want to eat the shrimp. He just wanted it dead. xD After he killed it he wasn't trying to eat it or anything. He was just hovering over it, like he was making sure it didn't move again and when I took the body out, he didn't care. He was just like "It's dead. I did my job".
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #17 
MistersMom

O.o you're fish is a MURDERER!!!! D: jk lol. but my female , she ate hers.... poor little guys... good thing their cheap!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #18 
Twilight Storm

People already said it, but the Fluval edge sponge pre filters fit well on that filter intake.

Some are looser then others, I had to put a ring of airline tube into the bottom of one sponge so it would snap to the bottom of the intake tube.

What it looks like in a tank. This is a 1 gallon version of your 5 gallon, spirit was in temp

I like those sponges because they aren't as ugly as my aquaclear coarse filter foam. All my fish love to slap themselves on the side of the sponge with all their fins spread out and let the sponge hold them gently to the filter as they sleep. The biggest Aqueon bow tank I have is 2.5 gallons though.

I did manage to cycle the 2.5 gallon with the aquaclear coarse foam, I am not sure if I can with the fluval. (I tend to abuse the sponges bacteria a bit during water maintenance.)

Love your 5 gallon. I will have to go look and see if your big tank is in your profile albums :D (You're making me want to go get one of those 5 gallon bows...... evil, bad.... I don't need it. I have plenty of other aquariums atm LOL)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #19 
Cattitude

I'm glad you found this site to be so helpful! I did the same as you, went out and bought a betta and "cool" but tiny tank for him, THEN came here and learned what he really needed. I now use my "cool" cube for a tiny baby betta, and when he grows up I will use it just for live plants.

I have a Marina Slim S10 filter on one of my 5 gal tanks, it comes with a sponge on the outside of the filter intake. You can see the black sponge cylinder on the right behind the green and white plant in this pic. This filter also has an adjustable flow.

The rest of my tanks are Aqueons, 2.5 gal, 5 gal and 26 gal. For all of them I have put filter sponge inside the intake cage. This prevents fins getting caught and also reduces the water flow. If flow is still a problem I add a baffle made from a water bottle to the water outlet.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #20 
Gamma

If you really think Fred needs a better name just call him Fred Weasley. It's perfect for a happy fish. (I wonder if anyone will get the refrence....)
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote