Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Spawn tank/growout question

OK. So I have run up on a good deal on a few 20g tanks. I had intended on using 10g as recommended for newbies but...

I am breeding giants. Is 20g too big for a spawn/growout? I could divide the tank for the spawn...

I have my java moss, java ferns, infusoria, heater, VE cultures, BBS, etc. Do I need to cycle my tank the long way or does the API instant cycle stuff work? I plan to put quite a few plants in the tank.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
tpocicat

20g tank will work especially if you're spawning giants. I've never used API instant cycle so I don't know. I'm suspicious of anything that promises a quick cycle. I prefer using used water from another tank to cycle my tanks.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

You don't have to cycle the tank before spawning. If you want to divide the tank just for the spawn, that would be fine, but it's not needed. Also you would have to take the divider out when the fry are free swimming.

If you have Saran rap (plastic wrap) used for food, you should us it because it creates humidity in the tank and is very important when bettas are growing their labyrinth organ.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

20g will work for breeding (don't divide) but you will need bigger grow outs. Or divide fry into groups in 20g each. But then again, it depends on how many fry you have. About 200 fry in a 50g seemed too crowded for half giants + regulars (I didn't jar them).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote