Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 
atteb

Need some help

I have a female I really want to use for my breeding. The problem is she will only accept white or light colored males. She just freaks out if I put her with any dark colored males.

Right now she is with one of my pastels, she loves to harass the males a bit and is all over them. Is this normal for a female to do this?

Right now they are both waving their bodies at each other but they are not under the nest. Its almost like he is trying to say buzz off but she will not leave him alone.

What should I do?
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

I really thinking you should research more.

Bettas are not picky with any colored males or females. You Need a better understanding of betta behaviour. Depending on the other gender, the Betta will wiggle in a certain pattern than when they are ready to spawn.

When betta do a bending wiggle where it looks like the male is "slapping" it's a territorial sign and he is not ready to spawn. It is basically a warning.

When the male is waving it's body with a smoother snake like pattern, he is trying to attract her over to his nest or if he doesn't have one, he's displaying that he is ready to spawn.

I must say that there is absolutely no female or male in that case that is "picky" from a light color to a dark color. Bettas are not racist and it will not matter. You just have to look for signs indicating if they want to spawn or not.

Please do your research, it's very important. Honestly the question you asked is very simple and if you did even some basic research you would have known this. Betta behaviour is one of the most essential things that you need to know when breeding.

Also are you ready to breed? Do you have all the necessary requirements and materials to do so? Not only speaking about the things needed to get an actual spawn, but live foods and containers for the fry?

I've learned a bunch about breeding from www.bettysplendens.com, www.bettatalk.com, and other sites. It's important that you do your research before breeding any animal for that case. I myself am a breeder and encourage people to breed only of they are willing to do their homework first.

I encourage you to also ask questions as many and as much as you want to. It's important that you know what your doing. So I don't want to discourage you from breeding or asking questions so please don't take this as I am trying to stop you from breeding. Yes we are here to help, but there have been too many breeders that are irresponsibly breeding and wondering why their fish are dying, which, injured, or being ripped apart.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 06-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 
atteb

All I can say is wow
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I really thinking you should research more.

Bettas are not picky with any colored males or females. You Need a better understanding of betta behaviour. Depending on the other gender, the Betta will wiggle in a certain pattern than when they are ready to spawn.

When betta do a bending wiggle where it looks like the male is "slapping" it's a territorial sign and he is not ready to spawn. It is basically a warning.

When the male is waving it's body with a smoother snake like pattern, he is trying to attract her over to his nest or if he doesn't have one, he's displaying that he is ready to spawn.

I must say that there is absolutely no female or male in that case that is "picky" from a light color to a dark color. Bettas are not racist and it will not matter. You just have to look for signs indicating if they want to spawn or not.

Please do your research, it's very important. Honestly the question you asked is very simple and if you did even some basic research you would have known this. Betta behaviour is one of the most essential things that you need to know when breeding.

Also are you ready to breed? Do you have all the necessary requirements and materials to do so? Not only speaking about the things needed to get an actual spawn, but live foods and containers for the fry?

I've learned a bunch about breeding from www.bettysplendens.com, www.bettatalk.com, and other sites. It's important that you do your research before breeding any animal for that case. I myself am a breeder and encourage people to breed only of they are willing to do their homework first.

I encourage you to also ask questions as many and as much as you want to. It's important that you know what your doing. So I don't want to discourage you from breeding or asking questions so please don't take this as I am trying to stop you from breeding. Yes we are here to help, but there have been too many breeders that are irresponsibly breeding and wondering why their fish are dying, which, injured, or being ripped apart.

+1 It's all about research. I might add that it also depends on the personalities of the fish. Sometimes they simply don't click, just like humans. Could be that the males she's clicked with just so happen to be light in color, while the males she doesn't click with are darker. Simply a coincidence, like BL said they don't usually have color preferences. xD
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by atteb View Post
She just freaks out
This is a normal response. She tends to freak out even more when he pecks her fins to shreds, but sometimes what happens happens.... Breeding Betta's is not for everyone, and takes a strong heart.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Every betta has it's own character - some simply have low mentality and will not flare against others or will only flare against certain colors.. But don't be fooled these "chickens" can be very vicious towards non aggressive bettas.

Light colored bettas often (not always) has low mentality compared to dark colors. And they often will only flare against other light colors. The way I over come this is by making them aggressive - keep them in solitary without any bettas in sight. Once in a while flare them to light colors. If you think they're ready, show them a stressed or non aggressive dark colored female. Once they are confident against dark colors, show them a normal/aggressive dark color female. But remove as soon as the light colored (or any color being trained) show reluctance. Depending on their mentality, this could take a few days to a weeks.

Sometimes a once stressed betta will not flare against the color that stressed it. I give them the same treatment as above.

The situation in your first post is normal. Courtship may take to a few days for first time breeders. Veterans usually spawn faster. Sometimes the female is ready to embrace but the male isn't. If the male is more docile, the female may attack him which may send him running ... swimming away. LOL Usually the male fights back though.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Spot on Indjo....that is what I have done too when I have had breeders that only favored one color.....I have found it to be more male that will only spawn with a certain color female in my fish room....Especially young males that I really spawned too early....What ever color female was his first is the only color I can get him to spawn with later....

Try what Indjo posted....it has worked for me....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote